TN: Blind tasting of mostly Northern Rhone

pileon Read too fast. I thought this was a reference to the Hermitage. Ignore me. Not enough sleep this week.

We’re located in the SF Bay Area and have a seasoned group of 40 members (including Alan, Craig and me). We take turns organizing the tastings, with 2 members assigned to each tasting. The assigned lead organizer solicits contributions from the members based on the theme. Typically 50% of the wines come from the organizers cellars with the balance provided by other members.

My favorites were the Clusel Roch and the 04/05 Chave St. Jo. The 05 Chave is super though this bottle was a little backward so I had the 04 just ahead of it.

I liked the 05 Robert Michel but the 01 had something in it, possibly a strain of Brett, that makes it undrinkable for me - it gives it an awful, slightly cheesy aftertaste. I’ve tasted this in a handful of wines. I’m normally tolerant of the aromas of Brett, and as far as I know, others didn’t suffer the same reaction to this wine.

Even the Hermitage only has a small percentage of new oak. I thought it was just a regular barrel rotation for six years or something like that, so maybe 15%.

+1. I had the 2001 Classique a few months ago and it was everything I could hope from a mature Côte-Rôtie. I guess from a consumer point of view I am happy though that the wines remain affordable compared to the more hyped up names.

I was also surprised by the oak in the 04, but then I’ve found I’m more sensitive to oak than most. I know some people have argued that the late 90s heralded a change in the Chave style, but I haven’t had enough 2000s Chave to really comment.

You’re sure you weren’t eating cheese after tasting it? :wink: My savory is perhaps your undrinkable.

We’ve done a few tastings with older and newer Chave Hermitage and I think most people agree that the wines from roughly 2000 onwards are more modern, but I think those comments have usually been in reference to ripeness, texture, etc. rather than oak. I’m not sure if the oak regime changed, but it sounds like what is in use now is a pretty traditional rotation of barrels.

I think I must have some strong physical reaction to whatever is there, like some people do to cilantro or Alan Eden.

Personally I’d say 1999 was the first vintage to really exhibit the change. I’m not a fan.

What a great tasting! Very jealous…

I love Chave (though most of my experiences are with Chave from the 90s), so that bottle of 04 was a surprise for having oak on it, at least to my palate. I’m not suggesting it made me think of Aldo Conterno or Guigal, but it’s oakier than I’d have thought. Maybe I was just having an off night? Who knows. Was still the most interesting bottle at the tasting. [snort.gif]