TN: Assorted Burgundies from the past week

2007 Domaine Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet Les Perrieres 1er Cru
Pale straw and green with a moderate intense nose of wet stone, fresh white peach, gala apple and white flowers. Quite linear on the entry, moderate plus in body and acidity. Citrus notes come out on the palate this stays tapered and taut all the way through the long finish.

2002 Domaine Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet Les Perrieres 1er Cru
The last one was so good that we decided to have it again so soon. It didn’t disappoint, this is in such a great place right now showing some richness yet with a great spine. Glad we have more.

2008 Domaine Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Champs Gains 1er Cru
Light concentrated color and a moderate plus nose of sulphur mixed with white flowers slowly evolve into some ripe orchard and stone fruit. Moderate plus body and acidity this is much broader and round on the palate then the Carillon, though no less fine in detail. This needs a decant to blow off that sulphur and even though the fruit as it shows is riper the fresh and vibrant acidity keeps the wine on its toes.

2005 Domaine Leflaive Bienvenues Batard Montrachet Grand Cru
Rather gold in color with a highly intense nose of liquified stones, white flowers, gun smoke, ripe orchard and citrus fruits. Full bodied, really rich, textured and broad. Crisp and long on the finish, bottles like this one make us keep coming back to Leflaive even though we have had a lot of bad bottles in the last two years. Stellar.

2001 Ghislaine Barthod Chambolle-Musigny Aux Beaux Bruns 1er Cru
This was really nice, sexy and sultry with a nose not too different from the Fourrier, though without the freshness. On the palate however the flavors lacked the clarity and precision that would have made it better. A mid weight wine at best that just didn’t seem to be up to level of other bottles of ’01 Barthod we’ve had.

2000 Domaine Denis Mortet Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaux St. Jacques 1er Cru
Much more extraction then the Barthod, but just like it it too lacked clarity. Much sappier and darker in fruit tones. Body was comparable as was the acidity, the tannin was more present though quite fine in its texture. Overall a nice and enjoyable wine like the Barthod but missing the something special.

2001 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Combes Aux Moines 1er Cru
Light ruby core that is fading at the rim. The nose starts out rather shy showing some tart red fruits and black cherry mixed with tea leaf, organic earth and some meaty notes. Moderate body, moderate plus acidity and moderate minus tannin. Elegant in its delivery showing some tartness and a few angles that in a riper vintage would be fleshed out.

1998 Domaine Comte Armand Pommard Clos des Epeneaux 1er Cru
Rather purple ruby hue the nose is rustic and dominated by brett. So much so that I stopped drinking it and didn’t bother taking a note. This bottle could almost give a Pegau a run for brettiest wine.

1996 Maison Leroy Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
Bright ruby with an explosive nose of clean and pure red fruits intertwined with stems, sauvage and earth. Approaching full body but light in its delivery, moderate plus acidity that was nicely integrated with the wine. Tannin was moderate and the finish long. This was drinking surprisingly well for a ’96 as it skipped and danced about your palate.

1996 Domaine Jacques Prieur Musigny Grand Cru
The Prieur followed the Leroy and absolutely sung every note imaginable. Deep ruby color, full intense nose, elegant, loaded with flowers and spice. Great ripeness on the palate, nice density and extraction, crisp and well integrated acidity and moderate tannin. This morphed in the glass all night long but was the star of all the wines.

nice notes you drink very well.
the 96 Maison Leroy Mazis note is great because I have some of that.

Thanks for the notes - especially the Carillons. Have you had any '99s from there recently? thinking about digging my last few up for a look soon…

I haven’t had the 1999’s in a long while. Please let me know if you do though as we have a full case of '99 Perrieres that is awaiting cooler weather to ship.

Sarah:
Thank you for the fine notes. It is particularly interesting to read about the Maison Leroy Mazis as I had always thought that Maison Leroy Mazis came from a particularly high quality parcel that Lalou eventually purchased for D’Auvenay. But there is also a '96 Auvenay Mazis, which leads me to wonder whether my understanding was incorrect. Does anyone know the back story here?
Alex

Me, too!
alan