TN: Another Rotten Rhone From 2003

Domaine de la Charbonniere Chateauneuf du Pape Mourre des Perdrix 2003:
This is not an expensive bottle of wine (in the grand scheme of things anyway). And it was even cheaper than normal because my local distributor was closing it out a little while ago. Took a bottle home . . . no harm, no foul, right? Should have just bought the Ludens cough drops, strawberry Jolly Ranchers, Sunmaid Raisins and a small bottle of some random Vodka and tossed them into the mixer because that was the essential flavor profile of this nearly undrinkable concoction. Can’t say I am in any rush to try any more '03s after a recent string of bad ones. I still think there are a few nice ones . . . Charvin comes to mind . . . but frankly I am not interested in fighting this battle any more. Its just not fun . . . and isn’t wine supposed to be? 67 points

2003 Vieux Donjon was really pleasant recently, even though I’d of course rather have the 2001.

You couldn’t give it 3 more points for a passing grade?

67+3≠90 [wink.gif]

I recently had the 01 and it was very pleasant. I’ve only had a few 03 CdP, most have not been in my wheelhouse stylistically, to say the least.

More likely I could have taken 3 more points off!

Well that sucks.

I had an '06 Charvin and '06 Clos St. Jean V.V. last night…very, very tasty. [wink.gif]

I’ve had huge quality issues with both N. and S. Rhones. Not just 03.

While I love the good ones (esp. N. Rhone Hermitage), I’ve pretty much stopped buying Rhone.

There’s this little place to the south of me (Paso) that I can generally trust with Rhone varietals.

I have had other vintages of this and the other cuvees from Charbonniere and enjoyed them. I believe the problem to be related to the vintage Josh. None their wines are ever superstar but they are all honest, terroir-driven wines that are well-priced.

Nice pick-ups!

I hear there will be some more '06s to be had soon! Lots of people need to dump them to make room for '07s! You know, the greatest vintage ever . . .

Between 1998 and 2007 there has been a string of very good to incredible vintages with the exception of 2002 and 2003. Just avoid those. Be selective in the hotter/riper vintages (98. 05, and 07) and you can’t miss.

2006 CDPs were dumped by Michael Skurnik wines this month in NY. I picked up and passed along some stupid deals

Papet @ $39
Colombis @ $29
VJ @ $39

I was pretty happy to pass along good wines.

I am still trying to figure out how you got to 67 points, John.

Can you do a Loren Sonkin like addition formula…50+2+2+2+2+2+3+3+1?

I am sure you will see serious dump outs on more 2006s.

I think that was what my receipt read after I bought the big bad of cough drops, the Jolly Ranchers and the Vodka . . .

Watermelon Jolly Ranchers? Those were the only ones I liked…100+!

I have not had a 2003 CDP recently, and I have no intention of doing so.

I had 2003 Pegau twice last year and enjoyed it. No reason to break the streak!

Strawberry Jollies . . . if they were watermelon (or peach!) it might have got a 69!

Peach was vile.

Strawberry was good as well.

This wine was very, very nice in 2000 and 2001. 2003 is an easy pass. Same can be said of Les Cailloux, Donjon, etc. Great producers, difficult vintage. There’s no point in overanalzying it, imho.

06 Charvin rocks. Most 03’s. Well not so much. Too roasted too over the top

Had never had a good 03 S Rhone until about a month ago…03 VT was stunning…1 in about 15 still is not an average to make me buy more…

Amen.