Tried these three last night:
- Forlorn-Hope Verdelho RHV RorickVnyd/CalaverasCnty (14.51%; 43 cs) Murphys 2015: Light gold color; quite fragrant apple/apple blossom/floral/pear light chalky/stony really lovely perfumed nose; lightly tart/tangy strong floral/apple blossom/apple/pear some stony/mineral fairly rich/lush (for a F-H) balanced lovely flavor; very long/lingering strong floral/apple blossom/apple/pear some stony/mineral fairl rich lightly spicy/cardamon finish; a lovely expression w/ a good balance of fruit & minerality.
- Forlorn-Hope SanHercurmer della Frecce Barbera RorickVnyd/CalaverasCnty (14.30%; 149 cs) 2015: Med.dark color w/ some bricking; strong spicy/Barbera/pizza spices/Italian dried herbs/Italian sausage slight earthy very Piemonte-like Barbera rather fragrant nose; quite tart/tangy/some metallic somewhat earthy very classic Baarbera/dried Italian herbs/rather spicy bit hard/tannic flavor w/ ample tangy tannins; very long/lingering some earthy/dusty very spicy/classic Barbera/dried Italian herbs rather hard/lean/tannic finish w/ ample hard tannins; a very Piemonte-like expression of Calif Barbera; needs 3-6 yrs.
- Antonio & Raimondo Barbera DOC: Piemonte (13%; CommercialBrands/LongIslandCity/NY) 2019: Rather dark color; rather earthy/dusty/OV quite fragrant very spicy Barbera/Italian dried herbs quite floral/lilacs almost Nebb-like aromatic lovely perfumed nose; quite tart/tangy/bit acid very floral/lilacs/violets Barbera/dried herbs/very spicy slight earthy/dusty/OV flavors w/ light bracing tannins; very long/linger rather floral/lilacs/violets some Barbera/dried herbs rather tart finish w/ light tangy tannins; quite a lovely fairly drinkable Barbera that will benefit from a fwe yrs of age; very well-priced at $15.00 (PrimaIlC)
A wee BloodyPulpit:
- Verdelho is, of course, the grape of the island of Madeira, where it makes a fortified wine. It was planted extensively in the late 1800’s in AmadorCnty because of its heat-loving character. Alas, there doesn’t seem to be much of these old plantings remaining in Amador. The Silvaspoons planting in Lodi is one of the highly regarded plantings in Calif.
- Barberas: The Piemonte Barbera was actually more Calif Barbera in character than the F-H because of the floral aromatics. From a producer I’ve never had before. The F-H was more Piemonte in character & one of the best Barberas from Matt I can recall.