TN: a fun night of mostly blind wines

I’m not a very accomplished blind taster at all but yesterday was one of my better displays of skill/luck. I managed to place the Jean Moreau Champagne in Montagne de Reims and nail it as being made predominantly with red grapes. The Gimonnet was perhaps not that impressive given the recognizable bottle shape and a bit of silver capsule showing, leading me to yell ”Gimonnet Special Club!” before actually smelling or tasting it. The style was then so familiar to me that I even managed to get the vintage right. The Groffier was screaming Gamay so the first guess quite naturally Beaujolais. Once it was told to not be from there I arrived soon at Passetoutgrains, then nailed the vintage and with a lot of luck also got the producer right. Not going to repeat that one soon!

I took the Boudignon for a Chablis first which is not perhaps that surprising given the producer’s aim to highlight minerality. Once it was told to be from Anjou I again got the producer and vintage correctly, but then it is not that long ago that I tried this wine the first time. The reds from Oregon and Tuscany I found difficult to enjoy. The buddy who brought the Syrah mentioned that he still owns way too many bottles of it.

• 2005 Duemani Suisassi Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (6.11.2022)
    Tasted blind. Loads of ripe blueberry fruit and smoky oak on the nose. Dry and savory yet extremely ripe on the palate with no sense of place or variety. Absolutely anonymous and uninspiring.
  • 2007 Evesham Wood Pinot Noir Le Puits Sec - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (6.11.2022)
    Tasted blind. Lots of berried fruit on the nose - smells somehow very stern and uninviting. On the palate very mild on the entry, then the flavors and structure pick up considerably but in a very disjointed, unharmonious way. The fruit expression is harsh and a bit boozy. I find it very difficult to place this on the map and frankly I don’t care where this is from. Lame stuff.
  • 2019 Thibaud Boudignon Anjou - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou (6.11.2022)
    Tasted blind. Very stylish modest oak, savory citrusy fruits on the nose. Lively yet understated. On the palate powerful without much weight at all. The acidity is absolutely fantastic and the overall feel is vibrant and energetic. Ripeness absolutely on point. This is a top level dry Chenin that sports glorious fruit and has a nervous quality to it. Producer is bound to be legendary, I feel. Felt Chablis-esque, which was my first guess.
  • 2018 Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet Fixin Champs des Charmes Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Fixin (6.11.2022)
    Quite timid on the nose with judicious oak, crisp lemon fruit, iodine, just a little bit of butter. Attractive reduction. More Chablis than Côte de Beaune. On the palate quite tightly wound with very good acidity. Nice volume as well and terrific balance. There is some softness marking the vintage but it’s not a soft wine per se and the flavor profile most definitely is in no way tropical. I wouldn’t rush to buy more at the just below 40€ price but it isn’t a horrible value.
  • 2017 Domaine Robert Groffier Bourgogne Passetoutgrains - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Passetoutgrains (6.11.2022)
    Tasted blind. Very Gamay-like nose of cherry and cranberry. Dark toned, pure and glorious, not natty at all (referencing the mostly natural Bojos seen in our tastings). Youthful. On the palate relatively ripe-fruited but firm and focused. Serious, again not natty at all. Some pinosity here for sure. Low alcohol and good acidity, highly drinkable. A lovely wine.
  • 2014 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Special Club Grands Terroirs de Chardonnay - France, Champagne (6.11.2022)
    Tasted blind. Very youthful and green toned on the nose. Super chalky and smoky with some ginger. On the palate extremely focused and tight. Some autolysis but mostly chalk. Very linear and firm with great acidity. A baby at this point, for the cellar without a doubt, even if it fleshed out some eventually. Very classic Gimonnet, properly dry.
  • 2008 Dr. Pauly-Bergweiler Bernkasteler Alte Badstube am Doctorberg Riesling Großes Gewächs Bernkasteler Ring - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6.11.2022)
    Very ripe and developed on the nose with notes of red apple, apricot and honey. Some funk indicating it perhaps being slightly over the hill. On the palate rich, round and palate-caressing. The acidity is not electric but easily sufficient. The flavor profile is relatively developed - there is lots of fruit but it’s not of the primary kind at all. Very un-Riesling like in its shape at this point but delivering lots of pleasure. Wouldn’t keep for much longer but I have no regrets for not opening it sooner.
  • NV Jean Moreau Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Prestige - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6.11.2022)
    Tasted blind. On the nose buttered toast, red apple, almond, slight bitterness. Gentle yet energetic fizz. Red-toned flavor profile with some spicy notes. Very juicy without a strong acidic spine. The autolytic notes are there but quite fruity and easy to drink stylistically. A bit coarse on the finish, not especially refined. Speaks of Pinot dominance and Montagne de Reims with its red fruited flavor profile and relatively rich mouthfeel.
  • 2005 Reignac - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur (6.11.2022)
    En magnum. A vibrant nose of ripe blackcurrant, charred oak and graphite. Perhaps surprisingly not hugely developed but savory and charming. On the palate richly fruited with quite formidable structure. Not a ton of complexity on the palate and the fruit expression is not very bright. The flavor profile has a very generic feel to it and seems perhaps somewhat manufactured.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes