TN: A few Grand Cru Burgs

A FEW GRAND CRU BURGS - Sous Commanderie de Vermont BYOBurg Party, Stowe, Vermont (7/17/2010)

Last Saturday was our annual Paulee of the Chevalier gang. The party was masterfully hosted by Marcel and Caroline Elefant. About 40 attendees each brought a bottle or two of 1er or Grand Cru Burgundy to share. Great chow was provided by Jack Pickett of Frida’s. There were an overwhelming number of great bottles to taste. I made quick notes of just 3 and then got back to just enjoying the wonderful event.

• 1995 Bouchard Père et Fils Corton-Le Corton - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru
    From a 3.0L bottle that had been decanted some time before. Smoky, expressive, open-for-business nose of spicy red fruit, moist earth and sweet spices. Bright and lively flavors with sweet red and black cherry, crisp acidity and fine tannins. Surprisingly ready to drink. Quite an experience–one of many, many this night! (93 pts.)
  • 1990 Domaine Pierre Gelin Mazis-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
    This one was from my cellar where it had been since release. Double decanted at home and brought to the party. Light color with a clear rim–no bricking. Earthy, meaty nose. Very exotic and deep. Really elegant on the palate with waves of lightly sweet fruit flavors and firming bit of rust. Perhaps nearing its peak where it should remain for a long long time. Truly Grand Cru. Magnificent. Tie for WOTN for me. (96 pts.)
  • 1988 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru
    Brought by Roy Schwarz. Double decanted at home and brought to the party. Quite light in color with no bricking but don’t let that fool you. This is a very serious and glorious example. Enticing nose of earthy Asian spices. Very elegant and perfectly balanced flavors of spicy cherries, earth and iron. Long and still very powerful. A wonderful experience. Tie for WOTN. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds great! Nice notes on some fine Burgs.

This one is most interesting since I have the 1990 Chambertin in the cellar … sounds really promising … will keep it until my planned Chambertin GC-tasting in 2011 !

Did Gelin sell their holding in Mazis? There are no notes in CT after the 1993.