TN: 2021 Keller „Bürgel“ Spätburgunder

2021 Keller „Dalsheim BÜRGEL“ Spätburgunder GG​

First, you can taste the love of Felix&KP Keller for Burgundy. As I said before, how impressive the german Spätburgunder changed in the last years thanks to climate change, new skills, new mindset, new generation and leave behind the
oaky&alcoholic versions from the past. Fair to say the Keller Spätburgunder were always different.

I tasted this „Dalsheimer Bürgel“ already in March at the yearly barrel tasting at the estate Keller.

Like in March, I love the drinking pleasure (!), finesse, elegance, lightness of being and freshness. Flavors of wild strawberry, juniper/cranberry, spice and your palate will be wrapped in silk.

Beautiful to drink right now despite the youth, clearly no mistake to open a bottle in the coming days, weeks and months ahead. You will taste all the complexity, facets&layers and you will get a good glimpse of the future.

Worth to mention also the grip and vivid tannins of this classic&cold and challenging vintage. The winemakers had to fight for ripeness regarding their Spätburgunders in 2021.

P.S.

KP told us in March that 2022 will be the best ever Spätburgunder vintage in Germany. Like our football legend Franz Beckenbauer always said: „Schau’n wir mal……“

5 Likes

Thanks for the note. I’ve been struggling with Spatburgunder. Maybe I’m not trying the correct producers, but the ones I’ve tried have been much more akin to California Pinots and less the lighter style your note indicates.

2 Likes

I recommend that you have a close look regarding this thread.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/german-spatburgunder/

Again, I have to highlight the huge impact of climate change regarding the rise of German Spätburgunder.

I am remembering a couple of years ago KP told me that his grandfather was very skeptical (!) when he planted Spätburgunder vines, as the grandfather told KP:

this will never get ripe,“

„das wird doch nicht reif“.