TN: 2021 JB Neufeld Cabernet Sauvignon Two Blondes Vineyard and 2021 JB Neufeld Yakima Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

BD15 wines, and with apologies to JG, I reviewed these over 3 Days. I have known JB Neufeld, the brand and the people, since their first release in 2010, so was actually hesitant to open these bottles so young. JBN is largest producer in our cellar, and we are currently drinking Cabs from mid 2010’s, 2012, 2015, etc… The 2015 Yak Valley is in a really good spot now, BTW. Anyway, here are notes on a couple of the newest releases.

• 2021 JB Neufeld Cabernet Sauvignon Two Blondes Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (2/19/2024)
    Opened and poured a small glass then slow ox for ~6 hours. Nose is warm cherry, oak influence but surprisingly well integrated for a wine this young. Palate opens with bright Cherry notes with interplay of Bing/Rainier flavor profile. tannins so silky and smooth with structure and balance all aligned to frame the fruit. Finish goes and goes. Day two was very similar to day one with no decline, and even more cherry peeking through. Day three fruit fading a bit, but silk and finish still there. Some herbs and spice underpinning. Drank this with Steak and potato, Day 1, Brie Day 2, Chocolate chips day 3. When I took last sip after chocolate was gone, the wine still demanded fat. Cannot wait to see this evolve, but very approachable now with a slow ox. (95 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2021 JB Neufeld Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (2/19/2024)
    Opened and poured off a small glass then slow ox for ~6 hours. Nose is warm cassis and vanilla cocoa, palate follows nose, with finely grained smooth tannins. Had a glass with steak and potato and the silkiness is enhances with fats on the palate. Followed this to day two where it declined a bit, with structure diminishing. Day three strong showing with secondary notes of mint, herb. Merlot component comes to the front, and makes this taste like a left bank blend. Drink or hold, very approachable now, but will age easily a decade plus. (92 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Next time I get to Tri-Cities to see family, will try to pick a day to head up to Yakima and go thru some wines and see if Christian Grieb wants to join us at Sizzler or Red Lobster, whatever is left in Yakima for fine dining.

1 Like

Miner’s is still open! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There are actually a couple of spots these days, Crafted downtown and Nomad, up in Tieton, close to me.

Chef/Owner at Nomad was hired by Owen Roe to start something there in 2019, then pandemic happened, so he eventually went on his own. Pretty remarkable but Tieton has sorta become a colony for lost artists among the apple trees.

Good brewery w food here too at Cowiche Creek.