TN: 2021 Domaine Baudry Chinon Les Grezeaux [2021 Le ClosGuillot added]

Wonderful note, John. I’m salivating. So love this Chinon vintage, which ironically, does not appear to be the recent fave of the cognoscenti critics.

1 Like

i had a 2014 clos guillot last week actually. i consider myself a regular baudry fan (probably for 12-13 years now) and while it certainly felt ‘classic’ chinon, i actually felt like the fruit was more muted than i prefer.

ive been consistently loving the 2018s from baudry…grezeaux and clos guillot (which particularly was a standout that year imho).

1 Like

I know this is slightly tangential to the original thread. Has anyone tasted the 2014 Olga Picasses?

1 Like

Yes, a classic. I bought two full cases. The Guion Deux Mont is an equivalent. Gosh I love this vintage.

The Rougeard is stunning.

Ok just bought 6x. I have had many a Picasses but not 2014. I will say I have found much more bottle variation with the Picasses vs. Grezeaux! But I am excited to try!

1 Like

Think of it like VC, couple of losers but some good winners.

Me too, but sense my tolerance for Brett may be higher than most, I’m generally ok with it.

And the reward (I am hoping) is well worth the risk! First bottle I will report back On!

1 Like

Marx I’m in the office tomorrow.

I’m drinking a 2019 right now, definitely much richer than the 2021!

The 2019 has such structure…can’t compare to 2021!

Drank a bottle of this over several nights, didn’t really change much:

2021 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (10/10/2023)
Dark, medium full body, this is cleaner on the nose than the Granges I had last week, not showing the brett I seemed to find in that wine. There’s some roasted mushroom, dry earth, and a sense of what seems like some new oak, but I confess to not knowing the oak treatment of this wine. The palate is not unlike the Granges, but with a bit more intensity and depth, dark raspberry, black cherry, not a ton of obvious cab franc in terms of any green vegetal notes, it’s actually quite clean and pure, the balance is excellent, with nice acidity, medium fine, slightly chalky/grippy tannins, overall a bit brooding and backward, with obvious potential for a long life. Glad too have a few more bottles to hide in the cellar, lots of upside here. (91 points)

3 Likes

> Chinon Les Grézeaux:

• Fermentation lasts 15 to 20 days in cement tank
• Aged 12 months in 3 to 5 years old barrels
• Bottled in January
• Not filtered

Drinking another right now. This stuff is excellent.

1 Like

You have no self control at all. Shameful.

Never. None.

I embrace it! I hath no shame!

Plus, it’s my justification for ordering more.

1 Like

Precisely. We are not drinking wine, we are conducting invaluable “cellar” research to answer the eternal question, which is inevitably, do I need more? Or in Robert’s case, how much more do I need?

Want, not need

1 Like

I can’t tell the difference when it comes to wine.

A wanton need

3 Likes

Just had the 2020 Baudry Domaine bottling…I luv that u can drink most these Baudry young and they are delish! The 2020 is more than ready to show its stuff.

1 Like

I think we need a “What Baudry wine are you drinking…” thread :smile: