TN: 2020 Kilburg Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Kabinett

• 2020 Kilburg Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (11/18/2021)
    First experience with Kilburg, but not with Goldtröpfchen. In recent years I have found many wines from the site that tended towards the unctuous. This is not one of those wines. On opening at cellar temperature it showed brisk and with excellent mid-palate density, despite a lightweight texture. There’s definitely some of the peaches with drizzled honey that always comes through from Goldtröpfchen, but it’s accompanied by lighter tones, as well as a touch of sun-drenched herbs, which add a counterpoint to the core fruitiness. it’s fruity sweet, but not so far beyond Feinherb. There is a touch of phenolic bite at the back end, but that is probably just the extreme youth talking, so a little cellar time should resolve that. It’s not something I haven’t seen before!

I have left a glass for tomorrow (damn, that was hard), and will follow up.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Really excited to go find my bottles now.

Grab one of each. That’s what I did. I will be opening the Ohligsberg in a few weeks.

1 Like

David, I’m not sure I understand the Feinherb (Kabi?) comment unless you are just isolating the RS. I find Mosel Feinherb to be structurally different than Kabinett largely due to the higher alcohol and different textural and structural feel / shape in both nose and mouth.

Max worked with Julian Haart.

Proper Kabi, but MFW say it has 50g/l sugar.

I visited Max last week and continue to be really impressed.

I opened my 4th bottle of spätlese from the same producer, vintage and vineyard yesterday. I could almost replicate David’s tasting note for the Kabi above, with perhaps some more pronounced apricot / peach. Excellent stuff, curious how long I can resist opening the next.

It’s about the perceived RS.

It doesn’t show like 50. More like 30 in terms of taste. At least that would have been my guess.

I am sure thats right!

Will open one at the weekend just to be sure. :smiley:

I don’t have exact details for this wine but Kilburg does pick grapes for he’s kabinetts early so they have always quite high acidity & low pH-levels which does mask sweetness very well. In some vintages (like 2018) Goldtröpfchen has been almost painfully sharp. Max has produced outstanding kabbis since the first day bottling under own label (2015?) and especially Ohligsberg has been constantly one of the best kabinetts from MSR in last 5 years or so. These are wines that can be bought without tasting and are still very(!) affordable and accessible (hopefully that won’t change) compared to Haart Ohligsbergs and I think quality is really close if not even better in some wines…

2015 is right. I still have some. :wink:

Not only did he work under Julian some of his vineyards are literally the same just different parcels.

I visited him this summer and was extremely impressed.

He is a perfect example of the younger generation taking over for his Father and dramatically improving the wines. There are so many of these in Germany. He told me his family sold off some of the steep old vine vineyards years ago because they were to hard to farm and is now trying to buy vineyards like this.

Thanks David for the great note and your support.

Full disclosure we sold these wines through source | material.

1 Like

I really need to have Crush deliver my wines at some point….

Just had this one, my first from Kilburg. Color me impressed! Will for sure look for more from this address.

• 2020 Kilburg Goldtröpfchen Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (20.6.2022)
    The nose is beautifully green-fruited with notes of apple, lime, slate and just a little but of sponti funk. The aromatics are crystal bright, just gorgeous. On the palate it had appropriate sweetness which gradially tones down towards the finish which is clean and refreshing. There is an airy quality to it and very good acidity, although the texture is quite mouth-caressing. It has very little weight and just a bit or baby fat. The fruit expression is of the zesty kind which makes it very drinkable and enjoyable despite what I assume is a healthy level of residual due to the 8.5% ABV. It’s a very seamless and impeccably balanced wine and a thoroughly impressive one.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

This was probably my favorite 2020 Kabinett that I drank this year. Would be a buyer if anyone’s selling.

Love Kilburg. His wines are an absolute steal.