TN: 2020 Domaine Pierre Weber Le Pet-Nat - pétillant naturel or methode ancestral

• 2020 Domaine Pierre Weber Le Pet-Nat - France, Alsace (7/25/2022)
    Paul brought this over for dinner and the bottle cap immediately caught my eye. What’s this? He’s not sure but purchased on a recommendations. I’ve had wines like this before and thought it might be a good idea to open it outside as sometimes there’s a “surprise” waiting in the bottle when the cap is ripped.

Odd light peach color and fairly coudy, clearly in a rustic style. Color is intersting because I don’t think there are any red skinned grapes in this wine. The nose is something off a farm but not barnyard. Dry straw or 3 way scratch feed for those that may have spent their youth in the country setting. I like it. Bit funky for the girls so more for Paul and me.

There’s some residual sugar and fresh squeezed orange flavor gives a reminder of Tang drink. Fine bubbles, more fizzy than Champagne type bubbles. The acid level is very high.

Posted from CellarTracker

Got me interested in what the heck Pet Nat is… Ah, method ancestral,

What Exactly Is a Pét-Nat?
Everything you need to know about pétillant naturel wines, plus five bottles we love.

How Pét-Nats Are Made
“Pét-nat is a wilder version of a sparkling wine like Champagne,” says Jared Brandt, owner of Berkeley, California’s Donkey & Goat Winery, which has produced pét-nat since 2010. “When people ask, I tell them pét-nat is a wine that we bottle during initial fermentation, and the sugars from the grapes provide the bubbles.”

As you may know, during alcohol fermentation, yeasts eat sugar. The byproducts of this process are alcohol and carbon dioxide. In non-sparkling wines—your Chardonnays, Pinot Noirs, etc.—most or all fermentation occurs before bottling, and so there is no trapped C02, and therefore no bubbles.

Pét-Nat is like a junior version of this really complicated Champagne process,” says Steve Hall, co-owner of Spencer, a restaurant and natural-wine shop in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Rather than blending different dry wines and putting them through a second round of fermentation and aging, pét-nat is bottled while still undergoing its first round of fermentation. The French call this process “methode ancestral,” and it’s likely been around far longer than other, more complex methods of producing sparkling wine.

When we opened the Weber it immediately reminded me of a Briceland I had earlier in the year which was very cool. Here’s the not on that one. Look Pet-Nat! I’m learning…

• 2020 Briceland Vineyards Rosé Pét Nat d’Orleans Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (3/14/2022)
    This is made in the style before Methode Champanois. Very rustic. Andrew told me to put this in the freeze for a bit before opening because it’ll bubble up. So I did. It’s bottled with a cap so I took it outside to open for fear of the blow back. Opened it and barely a spritz… Huh. Back into the house. Oh wait here it comes like a boiling pot of water. Get me a glass ASAP! LOL

Wine looks like fresh squeezed guava juice, pinkish and loads of chunks of grape goodness. That could be decanted off but why? Rustic is the perfect description.

Strong pink grapefruit flavors and very light effervescence. It’s like a mimosa in a bottle. Paired with a cheese and fruit platter was perfect. Very enjoyable and bonus points for the entertainment value.

Posted from CellarTracker

forgot to tag Andrew Morris he can expand on the how’s and why’s of his bottling.