TN: 2020 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc - serious stuff

Always like their wines. Usually get them around $23 on sale in Minneapolis.

Well acquainted with the wines mentioned here as Iā€™ve spent much time in NZ specifically to make Marlborough SB and Otago PN.

I like to say that, on average, Kevin Juddā€™s (Greywacke) SB is my favorite 2 vintages out of three, Dog Point filling that role every third year. The wines are made in the same facility referred
to locally as the Cloudy Bay retirement home! The Greywacke is (last I knew) machine-picked, though into half ton bins instead of the huge gondolas and trucks favored by most
in Marlborough. Dog Point is (was last I knew) hand-picked. Rare for Marlborough. When made my first in 2007, it was almost unheard of. When Kevin would introduce me to others he would comment on the craziness of hand-picking and sorting Marlborough SB. I figured doing so was one of my only advantagesā€¦

The result of doing so produces much lower phenolics as the grapes donā€™t spend a lot of time macerating from machine-picking to winery press. The Dog Point SB illustrates this. My wife, who knows little about wine, but is very sensitive to phenolics, can pick it out blind every time.

Cloudy Bay I find attractive almost every vintage - definitely above the local average - but question the price differential. There are many other gems that can be better at less than $20. Auntsfield, some Astrolabe bottlings, single-vineyard Villa Maria bottlings, the list is long.

Not nuts about the premium, non-traditional SBā€™s of any of them: Te Koko (CB), Section 94 (DP), Greywacke Wild (though this wine is that rare match with fresh artichokes!). They have qualities, but move away from the direct, lively pure fruit of their brethren. In my eye.

Man I miss NZ at harvest! (Covid protocols prevent easy travel there.)

Peter Rosback

Sineann

Glad you posted this! I have very very little experience with NZ SB. I bought a few bottles of Dog Point Section 94 2014. I drank my first bottle in 2020 and couldnā€™t get into it: upfront acidity then a lactic quality (I read there was no Malo so probably oak?). The finish was short and outside of that citrusy tightness I found little complexity. What should I do with the remaining brethren? Drink for what it is or hold and they will improve?

I just bought 2020 babich black label for US$14. Really fantastic wine. I have always liked cloudy bay but not sure if it is worth close to twice the price. I have had and loved greywacke Chardonnay but not the SB. Curious how others would compare the Babich Black Label to these?

22.99 Costco

Seresin used to be a favorite but havenā€™t seen it in this area for years.

What I like so much about Greywacke Wild is that it isnā€™t so fruit driven. I think itā€™s more restrained than most NZ SB and even has a bit of minerality to it, which I really like.

Greywacke Wild has character, that is certain! And like all his wines, itā€™s a good one. He much prefers it to his regular.

Seresin SB used to be on my short list. Their olive oil was spectacular!

Peter Rosback

Sineann

P.S.

here also best on Day 3. Very subtle&sublime.
So, I would recommend to put a case beside. Opening after 5 years or maybe 10 years.

Martin,
I recently picked up a bottle of Cloudy Bay, based a lot on your recommendation in this thread. We opened it tonight. Our bottle was a 2021 and not the 2020 bottling that you posted about, but it was also a very satisfying wine. Not overly exuberant (and sometimes cacaphonic) as some NZ Sauvignon Blanc can be but it still had an undeniable NZ Sauvignon Blanc gestalt.I am scent challenged, but this wine announced itself. The fruit was distinct as was some newly mowed grass. The flavor burst on tasting the wine was on a slight delay, but crescendoed and lasted through the finish. Lime mostly and some other non citrus fruit. Herbs also. The color was remarkable also, being almost clear with the slightest green more than yellow tinge. My wife Jacqueline also loved the wine. Thanks for the recommendation.
I also want to say thank you in general for your posts. You have such an unpretentious, but clearly knowledgable way of expressing yourself that resonates with me. You also clearly show an almost infectious sense of ā€˜joie de vivreā€™. Iā€™ve enjoyed your presence here.
Danke.
-Jim

1 Like

Having tried all the 2021s (except for section 94, wild and te koko, which are not release yet), I have the following:

1. Greywacke
  2. Dog point
  3. Cloudy bay

Although 3 is a coin toss. A good wild card is Zephyr, which makes an excellent SB.

Very very kind words, Jim. Thank you so much.

Hi Martin,
Had this last week in a restaurant in HH. I picked it because our birthday celebrant loves SB, but had never tried CB.
It was deelish, and loved by all.

Hi Henry,

good to hear. :slight_smile:

Women and SB is a save bet. They love it, as a SB always has an intriguing perfume/bouquet and they admire the classic flavors of flowers, herbs and gooseberry etc.