TN: 2019 Peter Lauer Ayler Riesling Faß 4 (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

• 2019 Peter Lauer Ayler Riesling Faß 4 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (4/6/2021)
    Continuing to open 2019 Rieslings all too early, tonight it was Lauer. On the sweet side of feinherb, the zippy finishing acidity keeps it from getting top-heavy. Lime zest, green apple and kiwi (all green) fruit tones overlay cool mineral bass notes. It feels like it needs at least 3 or 4 years to come together, integrating the sweetness, rounding the rough edges of the acidity, and basically putting the puzzle pieces together. It’s got an engaging personality, but needs to learn a few social graces.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Thanks for the note! I need to spend some more time with the 19 Lauers. One of my favorite overall producers.

I am making an effort to become better acquainted.

Schonfels is a personal favorite.

I will keep an eye out.

Thanks David for the early review. I have six bottles coming from Europe; the wine might be ready by the time they get here.

Schonfels is impressive and, I think, truly great… can be a bit forbidding, though. Most vintages I’ve had have seemed to me either drink young or age, which is what I do these days. Was, in fact, planning to check in on 2011 and 2012 sooner rather than later. In Lauer’s line-up, for me the true stars are Stirn and Kern, followed by Neuenberg, though, the hierarchy probably also reflecting my sweet spot on the dryness continuum, at least for their wines :slight_smile: