TN: 2019 Marco Ferrari Rosso di Valtellina

The richer wines of Valtellina have enough stuffing for the move over from Langhe to be more or less seamless. This one is delicate to the extent that I could see some long time Nebbiolo heads struggling a bit. Personally I enjoy also this style a lot - would love to have it with say steak tartare - but now I really want to try Ferrari’s cru wines. Don’t know much about the guy but apparently 2019 was his first vintage, way of working is very traditional and his friendship with Thierry Allemand seems to be one of the selling points.

• 2019 Marco Ferrari Rosso di Valtellina - Italy, Lombardia, Valtellina, Rosso di Valtellina (1.11.2022)
    The nose here is wonderfully aromatic and fragrant with ever so slightly tarry red cherry fruit, violets, clove and minerally tones. Fresh and unadulterated, absolutely uplifting. On the palate as expected not a bruiser of any kind but rather a medium-bodied wine with gently gripping tannins and little weight. A mountain wine for sure; savory and minerally with a slightly mouth-puckering finish. Very elegant and fairly delicate, a Pinot-esque expression of Nebbiolo if you will (or, rather, Mondeuse-esque?). Oozes high level winemaking, this a promising new acquaintance without a doubt.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes