TN: 2019 Gros Frère et Sœur Bourgogne (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne)

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this producer discussed here. There is a 2015 article on Bill Nanson’s website about a visit to the winery with one or two funny details. He also notes that they are controversial for their use of reverse osmosis which I can well understand. I have no idea whether it was used here, though.

• 2019 Gros Frère et Sœur Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (17.1.2023)
    The nose is packed with dark cherry fruit. Additionally there are exciting spicy and minerally notes plus some oak and tobacco action. On the palate it is quite rich - even mouth-fillingly so - yet with good structural elements and lift. This is no lightweight despite the lowly designation and it packs quite a bit of power. There is also a bit of warmth here and the oak is not really discreet. Dead serious all the way, not actually a wine for casual sipping. Some wines have a real joie de vivre about them, this one has none of that. Still I can’t find myself to hate on it given how my glass has emptied each time I have poured the wine in it. With food it drank tremendously well without overpowering. It definitely represents one end of the stylistic spectrum or Bourgogne Rouge and as such it is not very everyone (definitely not the natural wine crowd!). Were I to read my own breakdown of it I probably wouldn’t go ahead and get some for my cellar. That said, I don’t regret this purchase one bit.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Yeah I’ve heard of them, but haven’t had one. Sounds like a pretty serious, rustic wine.

1 Like

Didn’t you open their richebourg?

Oh I forgot about that 2015 last year. Yeah that was pretty good, but not serious or rustic. Not as good as Anne or AF Gros either.

1 Like