TN: 2019 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett

The nose here already shows some complexity, but nothing sticks out too much. There’s the textbook kerosene, peach, lemon, white flowers and a hint of minerality, all in careful, harmonious interplay. Markedly sweet - slightly more than I expected - and creamy, with proportionate yet never overwhelming acidity. Medium finish. Yum! I can imagine aging these, but they’re utterly approachable already.
IMG_20210321_203805.jpg

3 Likes

I enjoyed this as well, but I’m going to keep away from my other bottles for awhile. This seemed quite young with good aging potential.

I have the 2019 Lieser Juffer Kabinett in the queue. Will report soon.

1 Like

Tomas,

Wines like this taste much sweeter young than they do when mature (say 10-20 years from now). Even in a couple of years from now, the wine will have settled down some and the structure will show through more. It will make the wine more balanced in terms of sugar vs. acid. That said, there is something irresistible about young German wines with all that fruit, even though the wines are nowhere as complex and complete as they will be. The only solution I have ever figured out to this dilemma is buy a lot of German wines - drink some younger for the fruit and some older for the complexity.

My last pre-pandemic tasting was of aged Riesling (both German and Alsatian) and I thought all the wines were stunning, but there is indeed something more directly hedonistic about drinking them young. I’ve bought some back vintages as well (2009, 2010 and 2012 of Haag, Prum and Schloss Lieser) but I’ll likely do as you say in the long run.

Thanks for the great notice.