TN: 2019 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Le Clos Guillot

Grezeaux needs a lot of time for me. Like certain other terroirs, like Beaumonts and Grand Mont, it tends to need time to soften, become texturally fillagreed, and develop truffley bottle sweetness. These are of course generalities. But they stick. It’s hard to say how that is linked to the terroir. These questions are not straightforward.

That all said, at Baudry I have a very strong biased toward Croix Boisees as I’m sure I’ve expressed. Our brains become biased, and for me the greatest of Chinon remains Baudry Croix Boisees, Breton’s now lost Picasses (thank goodness I have a few left), and certain vintages of Olga’s Picasses.

2 Likes

Anyone know and can share the bottle volumes produced in each label (Boissee,Guillot,Grezeaux)?

Maybe I missed it, I quickly looked up the link but didn’t find.

Off the Kermit Lynch site under general information it shows an annual production of 11,500 cases so I guess you could try and come up with a reasonable estimate based off their hectares per vineyard area.

And I think I am hearing that it might just be the time for another Baudry-a-thon … Ramon, Jayson … who’s in?

1 Like

Maybe fall? I have so many whites to drink through this summer.

Also I’m not sure why I stopped buying for a while in the early 2000s, so after we opened my 1997 last year, my oldest is now 2005.

You must’ve been space-xing out [tease.gif]

Those terrific mid-90s Baudry spoiled us then.
2005 CB would be my oldest, too. May need to open up to other producers if we do this again.

I revisited the 1997 La Croix Boissée at the domaine just a month or so ago and it is still in excellent shape. Sadly i have none in my cellar so like you have to move on to a younger vintage.

Bit off topic, but has anyone tried the 2020 Grez yet? I grabbed a couple of bottles.

This is news to me. What happened to the vineyard?

My recollection is the metayage or similar agreement was up. But I don’t recall the details. The last Breton Picasses was 2005 I believe. I don’t know who harvests that plot or makes wine from it now.

I don’t think these have been released in USA yet…but I could be wrong. I just don’t remember seeing them.

FYI - A number of different Baudry wines were just added to wine dot com, including the '20 Grez and thread title referenced '19 Guillot. They’re probably landing in California is my guess, but no idea elsewhere since they have a different distributer.

1 Like

I tried the Granges, Domaine and Grezeaux 2020. All very different wines, the grezeaux was delicious. Of course it can age and will be very rewarding down the line, but it was very pleasurable with some cabidela :slight_smile:

1 Like