TN: 2019 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis

I have been salivating about this 2019 Griffe du Marquis since Dale posted this original note! He’s such a tease! Truth is, I’d buy it anyway. I buy this every year, and have since the inaugural 2009 vintage. I buy tons of the Cuvee Tardive as well, both are so great. Easily two of the best QPRs in the world of wine, year after year. Love the finishing touch used barrel aging adds to this bottling.

I ordered a full case after Dale’s post and reading William’s note. More than I normally order but I trust these palates! Jorge H sourced it for me for a song of a price, it arrived last week. Teed it up for tonight, wife grilling some steaks, buttered my palate with some Louis Michel MdT. This Roillete soars. I had the 2014 yesterday, opened the day before. And had the 2015 over Thanksgiving. This 2019 is better than both, on par and one could quibble whether it isbetter than the 2017, but also in the classic vein of 2014. Not in the ripe vein of 2015 and 2018. Brambly red fruits and florals on the nose. Wet earth and a kiss of funk (not a pejorative), like rich, life-giving pungent earth. So seamless and silky on the palate, but mind you, this is a fuller-bodied, muscular Beaujolais. I know it is Fleurie, which shows on the nose, but the palate shows more Moulin-à-Vent. Has some meaty tones to it. More dark fruits reveal on the palate with some air. I found the 2014 more lithe, and just a subtle hollowness on the mid-palate, where this 2019 is full and round but still leanly structured. While I acknowledge that 2015 is sexy, this 2019 is more intellectual. Chewy, chalky finish. Obviously this wine needs time but damn is it delicious.

(94+ pts.)

Great Stuff here Alfie, many thanks for posting your impressions!

I rarely buy more than three bottles these days due to storage constraints, but this was a clear caser, anything less is would be a massive oversight given the stellar quality and the corresponding tariff.

Drinking the 2018 now. I found the 2018 Cuvee Tardive a bit lush, definitely a ripe vintage. This Griffe Du Marquis has a softer presence as well, but I think the structure is better, adding to some firmness. A very full-bodied, dark-fruited Roilette. Gives off some subtle Southern Rhone characteristics. This is probably a Beaujolais to pop with folks that do not normally drink Cru Beaujolais. It’s a crowd pleaser.

3 Likes

Yep, 18 Griffe is not a bad wine. I have some and while it doesn’t wow I’ll never turn down a glass.

2 Likes

I’ve found exactly that - 2018s have been crowd pleasers and we have enjoyed them for what they are in those situations. In fact, went out and picked up magnums of both Foillard and Roilette cheap for exactly that reason.

2 Likes

Popped another 2019 last Friday night. This is an exceptional Roilette. Left 1/4 of the bottle and forgot to circle back until Sunday night. It was even better, some of the exuberance of the fruit receded and the wine took on more meaty notes. Love this about Roilette. This vintage is beautiful and seemingly will age quite well, though that’s not a surprise to anyone that regularly buys and drinks this wonderful producer.

3 Likes

Anyone had the '15 Griffe recently?

Someone, probably one of you dirty enablers, inspired me to pick a sampling of Coudert, including this one. Very sad my cellar is thousands of miles away from me, I’m getting thirsty!

I need to try the 2019. The only Griffe I have had was a 2018, and it struck me as wholly unremarkable and a good bit less interesting than the base fleurie and the tardive, both of which seem to hit every vintage. I have another 2018 to try–maybe it’s in a better place.

14, 17 and 19 are the winners!

18 is too ripe.

2 Likes

Mr. Alfert, You know I love reading this and thanks for another check in / data point. In a few weeks I am going to have a Mad Max ‘ThunderDome’ show down with the 19 Griffe taking on the 17 Thivin Cuvée Zaccharie (served blind). While I know what the 19 Griffe will bring to the table, it is without question that the Thivin will pose some stiff competition. Should be fun!

1 Like

Don’t think I posted on my disappointment with my 2020 Griffe sample bottle a few weeks back. Unlike what is described here for 2019, air and patience did it no good; rather, it became more ponderous and S. Rhônish. Curious to hear other thoughts while I wait on 2021.

Opened one last month. TN: “it’s a peppery beaujolais - it’s well made but I might prefer a little more fruit and acid. Even get some savory bacon fat or smoked meat type notes. A rhonish take I’d say”

Glad to hear that’s atypical, first Griffe I’d tried.

2020 is the one I went long on with three mags when I saw a nice offer. Bummed to hear it ain’t the '19, but if it has to veer away from typical, veering to savory bacon fat, smoked meat, and the Rhône is better for my palate than most veers. :grinning:

Drinking yet another of this 2019 Griffe. This is stupid delicious. I ordered a few weeks ago some mags of the Cuvee Tardive.

Really sucks to hear Jayson’s take on the 2020, so I will definitely pass on it, any comments on 2021?

1 Like

Just had a mag of the 2019 Tardive last night, believe it or not. (Well, not by myself.) Showed young but delish. The kind of wine where one glass makes you say “I can see myself buying this every vintage from now on.” Haven’t tried the Griffe yet but it’s next on the list…

1 Like

Keep buying! I think I started in 05 or 07, rarely fails.

1 Like

Had the 2019 Griffe last week. My view is needs more time. Have not tried the 2020…but searching for info on 2021.

1 Like

You may feel differently. I just call ‘em like I see ‘em. Haven’t seen the 2021 yet.

On the 2021: yes, have opened 1 half bottle and 1 bottle of the 2021 normal version - young but really delicious straight out of the gate. Crowd pleasers.