TN: 2019 Bedrock Old Vine Zinfandel

I will usually drink a couple glasses night 1 which were good then leave the rest under vacuum until night 2 at which time it was great. I’m sure it’ll get better tho.

4-7 years seems the sweet spot for me. The few I’ve been able to hold onto much longer than that (hard to do) have been okay quaffs, but felt tired, on the decline. I’ve got one 2014 left and really like where the 15/16’s are right now. Won’t touch 18/19 for a while yet.

1 Like

Thank you all for the notes and early check-in. I am working through my 17’s therefore I won’t be touching the 18 or 19’s for at least another year.

Coincidentally, we opened one of these last night. At first, I though I had made a terrible mistake – the wine seem very taut and thin – but after only 20 minutes it had opened up and was eminently drinkable. The CellarTracker notes suggested that we might want to hold some for the second night, but we failed to do that. I haven’t had previous vintages of this wine, so I don’t know what else it might become, but I wouldn’t hesitate to drink more right away.

Opened my first 2019 OVZ last night and was disappointed, especially after loving the 2018 just a few months ago. It tasted disjointed, with individual components of fruit, acid and tannin all there, but just out of sorts. And a real green note on the mid palate that wasn’t what I wanted. I’m stashing the rest of mine for at least another year.

Our 2019 OVZ’s performed their cellar defender status admirably during Covid. Every bottle we enjoyed allowed another bottle to age a bit more. I think they are all gone, but the 2020’s have taken their role.

I have random OVZ stashed away that I come across occasionally, and none have been anything like too-old. Time makes the better.

There is no wrong way to use Bedrock OVZ, cellar defender or ager. Hell, we even cook with it!

Michael, sorry, for your experience, your note doesn’t sound familiar to me. I hope time helps!

1 Like