TN: 2018 DuPuis Pinot Noir Wendling (USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley)

2018 DuPuis Pinot Noir Wendling - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/9/2020)
This is a tale of two wines on two nights. Well, the same wine, but distinctly different - and better - on night two. Having followed Wells and Copain since the inception of that venture, I was excited to try his new wines, and particularly this Wendling, which was one of my favorites from the Copain stable when he was making it there.

On opening, even with an hour or so of air, this version was nice, crisp, medium light body, medium cherry fruit, on the lighter side but quite flavorful. But also a bit simple, not overly complex, frankly not very interesting though perfectly drinkable.

On night two, however, the wine is really singing, showing more on the nose, where there wasn’t much on night one. More structure coming through, showing some aging potential, has some nice spice and complexity, really lovely. Still a more elegant rendition, but now with nicely intricate complexity, big improvement over last night.

Not a mistake to open and try one of these now, but give it many hours of air time. (92 pts.)

I tried this a few weeks ago – I just had 5 oz in a mini bottle for a Zoom tasting. It was nice but rather light and simple earlier on, and I recall that revisiting it a few hours later was significantly more compelling.

[Now that I think about it, I think it was the 2018 Abel Vineyard. Anyway, slightly relevant still to the point.]