TN: 2018 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée

So far I mostly prefer 2017 M-G to 2018, but I will not be drinking much more anytime soon. Need to give these the rest/respect the deserve.

Westgarth always overprices allocated wines looking for the biggest sucker. Can’t use their prices as market.

1 Like

Don’t think I’ve ever bought anything from them.

We are talking about Burgundy. Check out any Cecile Tremblay wines from a recent vintage. It seems that being female, at least in Burgundy, does not signify a lack of respect for your skills. Seems the female owners and winemakers are getting chased more intensely than equivalent domaines owned by gents. I have been telling my daughters that in 10 years women are going to be running everything. Hopefully I can retire at that point and just relax!

Viva Egalite!

As someone who buys both Tremblay and M-G, I think it has a lot more to do with their wines being great than the fact that they’re women. There are certainly female winemakers in Burgundy who don’t command a premium; Taupenot-Merme, Tortochot, etc.

Wow - my last MG Vosne village was the 2005. USD60-70 iirc… I felt it was expensive even back then.

They are the cheapest in this case.

I won’t fully pass judgement until I open one of my bottles of Colombiere, but it’s still shocking and nonsensical.

For C Tremblay, if you can’t get them en primeur, the only option is to drink them in restaurants where they are priced based on property door price (times 3 or 4). To buy them on the secondary market is crazy. The few (bourgogne, village and 1er cru) I have had have been quite enjoyable.

(Edited) I stopped buying with the 2017s.

MG or CT?

CT

Don’t get me wrong - they often show up as the cheapest available on WS. But that’s because it’s on highly allocated wines that never see the light of day at reasonable prices. Doesn’t make them the market price. They typically are way over even auction prices.

Westgarth rarely even has the actual wine in stock. So using them as a price indicator of anything is worthless.

You don’t really need me to tell you this, but everything’s relative. From one point of view, it’s crazy; from another, it’s the price of a bottle of Massetto with 300 dollars of change left over…

1 Like

Indeed.

Mostly it’s sapping away some of the fun. More and more with Burgundy we talk about wine prices, rather than talking about wines. Makes me feel old. :wink:

1 Like

I think that’s because only old people talk about prices more than the wines? [stirthepothal.gif]

Let me check with the manager on that.

1 Like

I actually blocked them from my WS Pro results as I view their case / half case prices as noise.