TN: 2018 Daniel Bouland Morgon Les Délys - Too Ripe

You’ve got it, let’s become great friends [dance-clap.gif]

I, too, would love to see a Beaujolais vintage that was not defined by elevated ripeness or complicated by hail, but it has really been a while at this stage…

The really interesting thing will be to see how these riper, more muscular vintages age. Some of the best old Beaujolais I have had has been from the very ripe years. In hope of replicating those experiences, I try to forget a bit of Bouland, Coudert and Desvignes in the cellar.

That is fantastic! We recently became friends on Cellartracker so it seems to be destiny :slight_smile:

Great video by William

So, rummaging around boxes waiting proper dispositioning and I found my stash of 2018 Bouland. That leads me to conclude that the Delys I mentioned was a 2017, which is on the rack. To get with the times, I pulled one of the 2018 Delys (Vignes Plantee en 1926) and had at it last night. It came across as much more juicy and simple than past vintages. It was a nice wine, but knowing what this cuvee can taste like, I guess I’d feature a different vintage if I were trying to convert somebody.

Cheers,
fred

Tasted both the 2018 Delys and Delys VV in the cellar last year and both were drastically different. Former elegant and approachable now whereas the latter deep, dark, tannic with much more dry extract. One for drinking now and one for drinking later!

William, really solid commentary throughout this topic. Excellent.

Totally agree - Just a pleasure to read! And please keep your videos coming William - really enjoying those and appreciate the education!

+1

I mean really, what else does the Oxford scholar have to do, quarantined away in this 16th century French country manor, underground cellar and grotto stocked with DRC, Clos Vouget, Roulot and all those other fancy things rich people drink…

Bring on the videos! Of wine, of course. Needed to make that clarification in this era.

You guys really are too kind. I must say, I get much gentler handling here than the majority of wine writers…

Did a video on Cédric Bouchard the other day, and before that the Mâconnais. Any other subjects of interest? Top communal Burgundies and the hierarchy of crus is one topic on the agenda, another is Santenay / Maranges / Chassagne Rouge (the honorary Côte Chalonnaise as far as the market is concerned). Want to do a few on how domaines evolve over time: thinking of Coche, Dugat-Py, Berthaut, Ramonet as I have some depth in my cellar to look at those over a few decades. And maybe one on how making wine informs how I write about it. Anyway, I’m very open to suggestions. As Robert observes, I’m stuck in Beaune in “confinement”, and beyond tasting huge numbers of wine samples, I’m keen to make a virtue out of necessity.

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed your videos, William. I’ve also recently found a few notes of yours that have caused me to explore and enjoy producers new to me. So thank you.

I know it’s a topic that is loaded and has been done by others but I’d be interested in your perspective on Whole Cluster fermentation in red burgundy. It’s potential impact on style and quality. The producers you like in each camp and why you like them, etc…

So much fantastic info in this thread - I’m considering a bottle of the '18 Lapierre Cuvee Marcel XVIII, but I’m not a fan of excessively ripe Beau-jo. Would I be better off skipping?

Just got some of this wine in, as well as the Foillard Corcelette. Hopefully will pop open the Lapierre within the next few days, and happy to report back when I do!

Anxious to hear the results! I’ve never had this bottling, just the regular Morgon, but have always enjoyed that.

The Cuvee Marcel Lapierre is wonderful, had the 14 recently and it was very burgundian. That said, vastly different vintage… I also recently tried the 18 Lapierre Julienas and found it flabby, so jury is out!

Went with the 2018 Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardive. Had to check it out after this Delys two weeks ago and a Desjournaries Morgon last week, another bruiser. This Roilette is clearly the product of a ripe year as well, but pulls it off deftly. A broad range of dark fruits, rich tilled soil, black pepper, and some chalky minerality. Seems to have a slightly bitter stemmy note, but I frankly do not know whether Roilette does whole cluster. Whatever it is, it cuts some of the ripeness with cold steel. This Roilette works. I like 2014 and 2016 a little better, but this paired perfectly with grilled steak. A very full-bodied, layered Beaujolais. This vintage of Roilette could be a gateway drug for those seeking to try Beaujolais. Incidentally, I suspect that this wine is a bit higher than the 13% ABV labeled. (92 pts.)

08BE3616-3D77-4B50-8595-C1A96AE5C3DD.jpeg

I had recently a Morgon 2018 from Vignobles Bulliat and I confirm, 2018 is a riper than usual vintage in Beaujolais. We get more dark fruit than the classic red fruits from Beaujolais Crus.
One thing to say to ponderate my comment, in a general way, Morgon is one of the most concentrated cru of Beaujolais.

That’s pretty much how the Dejournaries was. It’s a big boy Beaujolais for sure!

based on the chatter here, i popped a 2018 Jean-Louis Dutraive (Domaine de la Grand’Cour) Fleurie Chapelle des Bois. we were not fans of this…very fruit forward, simple.

Had a pretty similar reaction when I tried the Tardive:

• 2018 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (10/20/2019)
    2.5 hour decant. Translucent, but with a real blackish tinge. Recalcitrant nose mainly shows gamay-ish cherry fruit. On the palate there’s some real density and structure, despite relatively light extraction. Good delineation of flavors, mainly black cherry and plum, a bit of cola, and some spice, mainly anise and fennel. With time, the finish is increasingly dominated by the tannins. Drinkable with food, but really needs cellar time. A couple of other 2018 bojos have seemed a bit candied to me, but not this one.

Posted from CellarTracker