TN: 2017 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph)

Sounds like the ‘11 Gonon, excellent wine, already finished the 6x sadly or happily.

Delicious albeit youthful right now. Taking on more meaty and darker fruit tones. Still relatively primary. Love the briary tangy snap on the black fruits. Dark olive and brine. Big mouthfeel, sweet chalky tannins. I think this is less evolved than on release, and I’m guessing 7-8 years may be more ideal drinking, to hit it’s early prime window, and then go for a long time.

3 Likes

I was in London during lockdown and was able to scoop up a lot of gems at the time for pretty cheap, you know, because the world was ending. I grabbed a couple Gonon '16s for about £35. But the '15 domaine des mirroirs berceau I snagged for £40, and the '99 overnoy vin jaune i nabbed for £250 might be my finest achievements. So just think, all we need is another pandemic and Gonon will be back at $55.

Also got my six pack of 2018 Gonon St Joseph during the pandemic. Destined for restaurants, but they weren’t exactly paying their bills so I got an opportunity. I’m yet to dip into them. Sounds good but really in need of some time.