TN: 2017 Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny

Good to know!

What age curve would you generally apply to the AC and LD wines?

kind of depends on cellar temp, producer, vineyard, vintage, and how you like wine but 20+ years no issue at all.

59 degrees, HN AC Chambolle, 14-16 vintages; just a rough sweet spot

Brian, as with many burgs, I’d recommend drinking these in the first two to three years, or waiting at least ten years, preferably fifteen. HN’s current style is very rewarding in its youth. The time in between age two and fifteen often yields disappointing wines that have lost their luscious fruit, but haven’t yet developed tertiary complexity. These are the burgundies characterized as “thin and insipid.”

Of course this is old wisdom, and every vintage is different, and some seem to drink well forever. I’ll be interested to see how 18-20 age. Many 2017’s are still rocking right now.

There is no harm in popping one to see how it’s going, especially if you have more.

If you are already experienced with burg and your question was laser focused on HN village wines, I apologize. My few bottles are sleeping until around 2030.

Vintage Port is or was also known to have similar ‘dumb phases’, though in those cases the wines are more unbalanced rather than shut down. David Guimaraens has expressed the idea that improvements in winemaking, namely the quality of the fortifying spirit, will alleviate or either eliminate this issue of the dumb phase in these younger Port vintages. So, I was wondering whether more recent vintages of red Burgundy might also be expected to be less coiled in that traditionally awkward phase.

Another question I’ve always had is why it is that red Burgundy does not age in the linear fashion that so many other wines do…