TN: 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Temperance Hill

• 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Temperance Hill - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (3/17/2021)
    Initial notes of hoofs and strawberry very quickly give way to crimson fruit in decanter. Maybe some rhubarb? High strung, chalky and grippy, yet light and ethereal. Acid deftly interplayed. Earthy in as much as if you ever chewed on clovers when you were a kid and got that nice mix of tartness with herbal note, this has a bit of that going on. I know a lot of people say Goodfellows PN’s are old world, but there’s something else about these. This wine could not have been made in CA, or maybe anywhere else. I can’t explain it, but it’s not old world nor new world. Anyway, I could drink this all day. A wine for wine lovers. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This vineyard and producer are a sleeper combo from heaven.

1 Like

Sounds like a Goodfellow. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I have no idea what hoofs smell like, other than whatever they have been stepping in. Other than that, sounds like a wine worth having.

I was trying to do a beatnik take on barnyard. [thumbs-up.gif]

They smell a lot like fingernail clippings. After all, that is what they are. Horses stand on their middle finger.

Maybe the “hoof” note was the wine kicking Adam for not letting it sleep another 5+ more years. [cheers.gif]

I can’t imagine this Pinot (not to mention the vineyard) being less than “very structured”…albeit with a lighter touch than the Henri Gouges Burgs of old.

My Goodfellow 2017s are in boxes, at the bottom of a pile of boxes surrounded by other boxes.

RT

1 Like

A fine strategy Sir.

Mine just arrived. I hope I don’t have to age them even half as long as my Gouges. Still sitting on '93, '95, '96 and '98 Gouges.

You can Pobega them…just watch for the hooves.

RT

2 Likes

It’s so good. Temperance Hill is a special site in the right hands, as here.

1 Like

Adam, nice note. Agree with you that these are not “old world” (and I love pretty much everything old world). They are their own thing, which is one of the things that makes them great.

1 Like

+1

Gonna pop one of these today, notes to follow.

John, we put together that package so that people could try the wines and not be punished too harshly for opening them now.

All of these drink well in the early window we’re in, with some youthful tension and tannins. The 2018 Durant and Lewman both just need a few hours to open up and show off the beauty of the vintage. 2018s can be very lively, layered, and fresh.
The Chardonnays are both in a good place to check in as well, so you should feel free to open any of the wines we sent.

My thoughts:

Popped, decanted, poured off a glass. Immediately, a bit of funk on the nose which blew off then clean red crunchy fruits, with a bit more fruit on the palate which was present yet reticent initially then went into hibernation. My wife commented on the beautiful color and nose and said there was a disconnect in the palate. I think it just needs time. After a couple hours in the decanter there was more there but it hadn’t quite hit its stride. I think a couple years would benefit this but I really like it. Again, clearly not burgundy or CA.

No doubt that Temperance Hill produces very structured and tight wines. And when young, both Temperance Hill and Whistling Ridge will often go into lockdown in a decanter instead of opening up.

Thanks for the guidance. I was going to email after some other posts here made me think it might be a travesty to drink the pinots young.

Is popping the cork and letting the bottle sit open in the cellar better than a decanter?

I think it was opening up slowly in a decanter, just not that quickly.