TN: 2017 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Zaccharie

LOL, I have zero willpower, and apparently, zero memory.

I popped yet another. Was thinking about the case of 19s that I have coming this week. Popped and poured with a take-out dish of crazy good and greasy Cuban pork - Lechon Asada - with black beans, rice and plantains. I am in heaven.

Buy this wine. Trust me. Even a yak palate gets the time right twice per day.

I know this will sound odd, but has a Northern Rhône quality to it, the meatiness, darker notes, and salinity, but perhaps that explains why I really like some gamay from that region, think Souhaut La Souteronne.

This thread makes me extra glad for my case of the ‘19 Zaccharie I scored (on the cheap)!

I stopped buying the Zaccharie since it crossed the 30€ mark over here (2019 /2020).

To check in on the cheaper ones, I opened the Foillette Tardive 2019 next to the Thivin 7 Vignes - both surely tasty but lacking a bit of structure or, say, complexity (the Foillette more so) - which admittedly they don’t really need, since both went down easily.

But: both are standing in the shades of the 2019 Bouland Corcelette Vieilles Vignes cuvees: the Sable, Cailloux and the Cuvee 1926 (all below 20€).
For me, all three are a step up in terms of flavour intensity and (smooth tannic) structure.

What’s your rough all in case tariff on this wine? It seems to be creeping up in price at local retail.

You don’t wanna know what I paid. You would cry. I cried. Was a flash sale.

I think they are still worth current retail, however.

1 Like

Pat, that’s an amazing find! If you want to trade 2 bottles, please PM me. I was limited to only one bottle when I placed my order.

I agree, the best of these in their youth do seem to lean a bit toward the N. Rhone in style, and Souhaut is a spot-on for what you’re talking about. I don’t know if you have bought any of the 2019 Griffe du Marquis, but that is another bojo that is a must have this vintage

I have, I’m a big fan of the Griffe bottling and actually have a running vertical from the initial 2009 release. I do not intentionally collect verticals but I do like this wine that much.

Makes perfect sense to me. IMO, Beaujolais - and especially nowadays - bears a more striking resemblance to the Northern Rhone than to Burgundy. Believe the soils are somewhat similar as well.

I had a 2020 CdB a couple weeks ago. Super purity of fruit. Lovely.

1 Like

I tasted at Thivin almost 2 years ago to the day. Claude Geoffray (5th generation) had just retired and he gave us the full tour, including a tasting in the family dining room.

The Cuvee’ Zaccharie is named in honor of early Thivin winemaker Zaccharie Geoffray. Claude said they try to emulate some of winemaking methods that Zaccharie used back in the day.

3 Likes

The 2019 bottling was on a local wine bar list as a special for Beaujo Day this week for $145 a bottle. Pretty darn surprising it could be that high.