TN: 2017 Beau Rivage Chenin Blanc - Outstanding QPR [a William Kelley winery]

congratulations, William!

Sounds dry, is that accurate?

Yes!

In terms of chemistry, it is much more like Bourgogne Blanc than many Loire Chenins, which often play very high TA off against some RS for a sort of sweet-and-sour equilibrium that can be very interesting, but isn’t, I suspect, really attainable in California.

Well, Chris asked to pop another last night, but it was not in the coolers yet, so she went with some ubiquitous white. I think you and Julie will definitely like this, and if not, just have your son drive it over and I’ll buy it back. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the clarification William!

I was wondering the same thing. Is this the same source as the old Dry Creek chenin (or Pine Ridge)?

Well, that depends (as in France) on your definition of old. There is a lot of trunk disease down there so not that many truly old vines. The parcel we work with is turning thirty this year, I think, and that makes it among the older in Clarksburg I would say. For Chenin, the variety of vine genetics in California is unfortunately a bit limited, but the age helps and the farming is good. And I believe that the source is indeed the same as the old Pine Ridge stuff. And I think Dry Creek, too. But I’m not 100% sure so don’t quote me on that. Generally, Chenin is being ripped out to plant Pinot, Zin, Petite and various other varieties. Much of which will be blended into wines from other more celebrated AVAs I guess.

This wine is great. Steely minerality, just a hint of oak, faint lemon and seashell, orchard fruit and pith. I do not get the smoky note Alfert mentions but definitely some flintiness. Extremely well balanced and impressive texture at this ABV. Lovely food wine.

So funny we both popped one last night, Kenny. You should post a pic of your dinner for the folks here. It looked increds. Chris and I paired the Chenin Blanc with a shrimp dish with creamy white wine and garlic sauce, couscous and asparagus. No, William, we did not use your wine for the sauce, we used some cheap NZ Sav Blanc that my wife tends to drink. This wine pairs so well with seafood dishes.

At your service!
CFE257F4-61B2-4880-81C8-224A721EE1E3.jpeg
6D0AB08D-5AA2-41BF-BF13-ED422D0998B8.jpeg

I had to dip my toes in the water and so I ordered a few bottles straight from the winery. Looking forward to trying them! Way to go William!

PS - Kenny - looks fantastic but your glass makes me dizzy! lol

Thanks so much, guys! The pairings sound great. I only have 4-5 bottles here in France, and try to open them with people who haven’t tried it—ideally winemakers whose wines I review, so we can turn the tables. But you’re making me want to open one.

Yea that glass is mucho fugly for vino! [snort.gif]

Keeping it simple …

ACC8685C-EB9B-485E-AAA3-37419309168A.jpeg

My six of the 2017 arrived yesterday in Chicago…already one in the fridge. Sounds like an Easter Sunday aperitif to me…can’t wait.

Finally got around to drinking one of these. I drink very little white wine but I enjoyed this very much. Will definitely buy the 2018 when released.