TN: 2016 Von Schubert - Maximin Grünhäuser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

My experience with von Schubert wines goes back to the early 1980s when I bought some from vintages in the 1970s from a store in DC called Morris Miller. I then bought a bunch of 1983s, particularly Abtsberg Spatlesen that were absolutely fantastic. I had a change to go to a tasting led by Dr. Karl von Schubert of 1989s that were very eye opening. The 1989s were really fantastic up and down the line - esp. an Abtsberg Auslese #96. The 1990s were also fabulous. A great vintage for them. Bought for a few more years and then did not see their wines for a while. Have been buying again in the 2000s, esp. 2007 and 2015.

In DC, while a lot of stores carry a few German wines, generally there has only been one store at a time with a great German wine selection. When I first got to DC (1980), it was Morris Miller. Then, it was stores with David Schildknecht as wine buyer - first Rex (I still miss Rex), then Mayflower and finally Pearsons (during some of this time Eagle also had a great wine selection). More recently, the best German wine selection in the area by far that I know of has been MacArthur Beverages where the manager of the store is a German wine lover named Phil Bernstein.

Opened a Auslese 84 Abtsberg 2011 to confirm… and it was a beauty great balance quite botritised an absolute delight…
Some “experts” told me they had lower quality in the early 2000s which may explain they lost their cultish following.

The “experts” were wrong.

Actually, I think the accepted wisdom was that quality had declined before that and actually rebounded in the early 2000s. But, as David said, that seems to have been rather dubious “wisdom” if you’ve had older wines.