TN: 2016 Ridge Demostene Zinfandel - An incredible AFWE wine from Ridge!

Yeah, tons of structure, easy to wait, just odd it would close up that fast after release

Some other Ridge wines shut down at this point. I’d just bury them for 6 years before checking another. Virtually all Ridge wines reward aging, and most are still fine (to great) 50 years out. I personally don’t even think about opening any til at least 10 years out from the vintage.

Meant to open this a couple months ago, but lagged on visiting my locker.

Not sure if I would call this closed, but it wasn’t super expressive. I liked it overall, the Carignan really sets up a different profile from the usual Sonoma Zins.

2016 Ridge Demostene Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County (5/16/2020)
PnP. Pours a deep ruby. Initially a little austere on the nose (it later opened up), but getting dusty black cherry, raspberry, underripe blackberry, a little bbq, and dates. Mostly a repeat on the palate, with perfectly ripe fruit, white pepper, meaty, and elevated acidity. Despite the lowish 13.0 ABV, there’s a touch of heat on the finish. Really great pairing with bbq ribs and brisket.

For some reason this wine is recalling cooler Lodi wines that I’ve had - specifically Turley Kirschenmann Zin and Prie Carignan.

After about four hours open, still red fruit dominant, licoricey. Acidity still pretty high. Good stuff here.

Posted from CellarTracker

Few cases available at K&L for $25.99 if folks are looking to add.

Fantastic deal, added three more… has anyone tried it lately?

I sampled the 2016 Demostene in May of 2019 and I remember being very impressed by it. It was really great.

I opened my bottle of 2016 the other night (that I bought at the winery in June of 2019) and it was noticeably acidic. Initially a pop and pour, but it was essentially the same the next night. It definitely needs time…or I got a bad bottle. The cork looked fine.

Tonight we opened a 2016 Guadagni zin (also bought at the winery in June 2019) and it was very good.