TN: 2016 Max Ferd. Richter - Veldenzer Elisenberg Riesling Kabinett (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

I’ll ask Constantin whats up w AP 40.

He says that AP 40 and 27 are the same juice, with the 40 bottled days later.
One other about AP numbers is that they correspond w bottling dates.

I went to a Massanois tasting led by Dirk Richter. I thought the Spatlese had so much more going on in this vintage and ended up buying a case of it. I also bought 2 bottles of his 2016 Mülheimer Helenenkloster Riesling Eiswein which was a real standout to me.

Thanks for the clarification. I had not idea that bottling a couple of days later could change the AP number.

[rofl.gif]

Thank you for the clarification, Robert. [berserker.gif]

Since at least a few people on this thread mentioned that Max Ferd. Richter doesn’t typically impress them, I want to note that a lot of the 2018s just received some very high marks from Mosel Fine Wines, including 100 pts for Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling TBA.

Despite hearing that 2018 wasn’t the best vintage, especially compared to other recent vintages, the early reviews indicate that there are still a lot of really great 2018 wines.

And I just MAY have offered the full range of '18s over the past few days, including the TBAs…!
;0

The other day, when I was interrogating Brian Stotter about his acquisition of some Richter wines, I hadn’t seen this thread. I hope no one minds if I take the liberty of adding a note on a bottle of the spatlese, consumed a couple of years ago:

• 2016 Weingut Max Ferd. Richter Veldenzer Elisenberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/4/2018)
    Only had one or two bottles from this producer in the past, and they weren’t especially impressive. This, by contrast, is quite nice. Plenty of ripe, fresh peach, cantaloupe, and lime upfront, with enough (but just enough) lively acidity to contain it. Lovely texture that’s evocative of rainwater. A relatively restrained spatlese that’s light(ish) on the palate. Medium finish. A nice surprise given that the producer is priced as a third stringer.

Posted from CellarTracker

This really was an excellent wine. I bought it pretty much at random; when I returned to the LWS a couple of weeks later to grab some more, it was gone—a real surprise, since nothing ever seems to sell out of their rather meager German selection.

Try the 2015 version of this wine. Utterly delicious!