TN: 2016 Fattoria Pomona Chianti Classico Villa Pomona Riserva

• 2016 Fattoria Pomona Chianti Classico Villa Pomona Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (10/28/2020)
    One of the plushes textured red wines I’ve ever had! Simply gorgeous wild berry fruits…fresh and vibrant with tarted crancherry, raspberry puree, cherry skin…deep earth tones and tar…dried orange/roses…tilled herb garden…white pepper/potpourri spice. The finish is SO smoooth and silky, yet there is a good grip of minerality and acidity for a firm spine…totally crushable…totally Chianti! Love this one! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Where did you find this?

https://vdltwine.com/collections/pomona

Glad you enjoyed it. Needless to say, you weren’t the only one to respond favorably to the Pomona Riserva. So, just a handful remain. Forgive the commercial plug, but this wine is highly representative of the cherry-picked, distinct wines we offer from small European winemakers - most of whom are under-represented in the US (for many of them, VDLT is the only source).

Thank you, Brian! I ordered half a case.

Opened my one bottle of this wine last night (also from VDLT) and LOVED it! Wish I had tried it sooner so I could have stocked up.

Pomona is the Roman goddess of fruits and nuts. I know that because I went to Pomona College in California, and it led to an obvious joke about the student body.

Lisini’s winemaker Filippo Paoletti, who studied under the great Sangiovesistas Franco Bernabei and Giulio Gambelli, is Pomona’s consulting winemaker since 2002

2 Likes

I have just the one as well, from a “variety pack” offer VDLT did of some of their Italian offerings (maybe they were all Chianti?) a couple of BDs ago. I’m glad to hear this is so good, but will give it a few years in the cellar with just the one.

Has anyone tried any of the others? Looking at my inventory I’m assuming the 2012 Fietri Riserva, 2013 Gondi Riserva “Villa Bossi,” 2016 Gondi Riserva “Pian dei Sorbi,” 2016 Montefioralle Riserva were probably all in that same six-pack? That makes 5, I must have opened the sixth, or it’s not a Chianti…

I’m very glad to hear this - Lisini is a personal favorite!

1 Like

What DOESN’T excel from Italy in 2016?? It’s almost a game now to find something that isn’t spectacular, from any region there!

1 Like

I’m SO bummed I didn’t load up on this wine…now you can’t find it anywhere! :frowning:

I’ve been reading some good impressions about the 2019 Tuscany vintage.

Wine.com has this…just reloaded. [cheers.gif]
https://www.wine.com/product/pomona-chianti-classico-riserva-2016/777792

Looks to be all gone!

Plenty left if shipping to Ca. Inventory depends on where you are shipping to with Wine.com.

and it’s your fault!

1 Like

Anyone have the 2017 of this? Drinkin my last 2016…so on to the next vintage! :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:

No but I bought some ‘16 based on your tout. Buried somewhere in the cellar at the moment.

Damn right.

Can’t find my note for the 17 right now. It was very good, looser than the 16, but in a very similar style. I liked the 16 better, but the 17 was not far behind if more immediate.

Glad you enjoyed it!

2012 Fietri Riserva, fully mature, autumnal, elegant and fine.

2013 Gondi Riserva “Villa Bossi,” Fully mature but still fairly rich, full of dark berry fruit, smooth, drink now-2028

2016 Gondi Riserva “Pian dei Sorbi,” Still tight, oak is integrating very well, more austere than the Villa Bossi, also perhaps slightly more Super Tuscan styled but still excellent Chianti Rufina

2016 Montefioralle Riserva Killer wine packed with fresh fruit, minerality, and tension. It’s drinking very well today and for the next 8-10 years. Love Montefioralle