TN: 2016 F. Alessandria Barolo Monvigliero

I know the relationship between Aldo and Giacomo, yes; my recollection is that Paolo Conterno isn’t related to them, but that may be my memory going in my old age.

Anyone had the 2016 Alessandria normale yet?

+1

I think you are right, if I recall correctly from one of Levi’s podcast episodes that Conternos were not all related (believe the name was related to a village or something).

As for the Alessandria and Burlotto - should be first cousins. One of the Alessandria brothers married into the Burlotto family. Thanks to Levi for that insight as well (all there for those curious to hear more).

Cheers,
Mikael

Only the Fratelli Alessandria on the first pic is from Verduno. Their 1964 (fifth from the left) was my WOTY in 2016
20161029_155558 (2).jpg
WeinShopPiemAlt_0020_190_ml.jpg
IMG_20190321_185811.jpg

Day three — last glass and better than the first. As the late Renato Vacca said on Levi’s podcast, that’s a good sign…

Jim, with your inspiration I bought the last bottle at a local LA store.

Anyone have any thoughts on the other 2016’s at the following prices:
gramolere $75
San Lorenzo $66
Normale $45

I bought them all around that pricing and one of the new producers for me I’m most excited to try. First Bottle wines in Napa have more of the Monvibliero and the Gramolere at $70. I’m looking forward to trying the normale and Gramolere first.

Thanks for the note. I have three of these coming as well.

On the topic of the various familial relationships in Barolo, my 2016 Piedmont buying frenzy led me to order Kerin O’Keefe’s great book Barolo and Barbaresco - The King and Queen of Italian Wine. There’s so much history about the various families and relationships. I’ve found this to be my favorite aspect of the book thus far. She also details each producer’s winemaking approach fairly methodically - fermentation, maceration, and oak treatment specifically - to provide a more nuanced understanding of where each producer sits on the traditional vs. modern spectrum.

Highly recommended.

I love reading these threads. Went pretty deep on 2016 Barolo. But my question is this- John Morris, when are you publishing a book on Barolo? You have an incredible knowledge base and are a walking library :slight_smile:

What’s the alcohol like on these wines? I’ve seen some pictures where it shows 15% abv on the Alessandria crus - higher than the 2015s, which honestly gives me some pause.

Honestly, I haven’t noticed the alcohol content in any of the 2016 Barolo I’ve tried.

Theres a Franco Conterno is Monforte as well!

It’s terrific and much more open for business than the Monvigliero as you might guess.

Hi Jim- i posted a note on the 16 Scavino version. I saw you’ve had it as well. I have to think stylistically these are pretty different. Looks like you liked them both and they showed perhaps as expected. Any preference ?

For drinking today, I prefer the P Scavino Monvigliero. It’s a very hedonistic wine right now. I think the Alessandria will likely eclipse it in the future. But, I’m extrapolating my Bordeaux sense to Piedmont, which may or may not not be appropriate. Both are excellent wines.

That’s my sense too Jim. I’ve not had the Alessandria or Burlotto versions yet from any vintage but the 16 Burlotto normale I would prefer to drink to this Scavino Cru on a consistent basis. I really enjoyed the Scavino and preferred it with food but I can tell I prefer a more classical style. I’m applying my Napa Cab perspective where I find a similar style preference.

Cheers

This will be by next Normale I try. Just picked up a few more.

I don’t know why, but Barolo is one of the few places where 15% doesn’t cause as much alarm for me as other places in the world. The Elio Grasso Barolo Ginestra Casa Maté came in at 15% in 2008 & 2016. These are classically produced, wines of balance that will take a minimum of 10 years post vintage to start to unfurl, and in most cases longer is better.

Same here and the 2008 Elio Grasso I posted a TN on what singing and would never guess that alcohol level.