TN: 2016 Chateau Tronquoy-Lalande, Saint-Estephe - Awesome QPR

Sweet. It will go perfectly with my blue silk smoking jacket in my lavish gold plated baroque tasting room. Now if only they could raise the price then I’d be all in.

Gotta go hand wash my yellow Lamborghini. Ttyl.

2 Likes

By the Cask Cartel standards, it’s a screaming bargain!

1 Like

I have similar lineup of a half dozen sub-$40 2016’s, that I need to sit down and taste thru, the T-L included. What else was included in yours?

1 Like

Here’s my list of '16s, influenced by this board, and availability at K&L, since no shipping costs was important to me at the ~$40 and below range:

Bernadotte, for $18, basic good QPR
Capbern, yet to try
Lilian Ladouys, interesting, dark rustic would go back at $27
Tronquoy, very good, stupid QPR
Siran, yet to try
Cantemerle, still tight, good stuffing, can drink with decant, went back for more
Meyney, yet to try
Sociando, yet to try but liked the '14 and loved the '01s and '04s

What '16s are you looking at in the ~$40 range?

1 Like

I can’t speak to the 16 but the 19 Siran is a great wine. I have been buying it for $25 and just added a case.

I do love trying the lesser known producers and I’m sure I’ll be buying some Tronquoy soon.

Is Bel Orme Tronquoy de Lalande associated with this domaine?

My list that I recall, all under $55, which is amazing when you consider some are Classifed Growths:

Ferriere
Langoa Barton
Branaire Ducru
Sociando
Cantemerle
Potensac
Lanessan (still not sold on '16)
Lagrange
Tronquoy

Don’t forget many of the same wines in 2019. Similar pricing.

2 Likes

2016 Lafon-Rochet was excellent.

1 Like

Good call. I’m still
Meaning to grab some Gloria.

Oh. And 2016 Fonbadet is an excellent QPR for Pauilliac.

If it’s not, that will be absolutely ridiculous.

I bought 3 bottles of 2014 Gloria a long time ago, but the 2 bottles that I’ve opened so far didn’t feel like they were anywhere near ready. Should I wait another 5 years to open the last bottle?

1 Like

I had one within the last 6 months and it was awesome. 2017 was great a couple years ago too. Have heard rumblings on either here or CT about a stylistic change for the 2019 vintage going forward, but I haven’t yet popped a '19. For my money though, Capbern is a fantastic QPR Bordeaux.

My list is similarly influenced by this board (Bordeaux is not a top source for us, we very much dabble around the edges) and also available at K&L - SF or JJ Buckley.
Lanessan
Pierre 1er
Lilian Ladouys
La Fleur de Boüard
Barde-Haut
Tronquoy-Lalande

From '16 I already have Capbern, Dalem, Badette, Soutard-Cadet, Meyney, Bellefont-Belcier, Marq.d’Alesme Becker, and Tour St. Christophe. I think all were purchased blind, most were probably board recs.

1 Like

Im not digging it. Looks like something a kid designed.

2 Likes

19s I have already are: Jean-Faure, Haut-Brisson, Siran, Branaire-Ducru, D’Issan, and Tour St. Christophe.
Shout out to the great enabler that is the Costco thread.

On my watch/try list are: d’Arce, Alcée, Dalem, Clos de Bouard, Poesia, Ormes de Pez, & Frombrauge, but @Robert.A.Jr I will see about adding some of these others. First, gotta get thru these 16’s. The larger issue is I am absolutely at max capacity right now.

2 Likes

No, it’s owned by the Quié family (Rauzan Gassies).

2 Likes

Judging by the few bottles in cellars as per CT, the 2019 T-L seems not out yet, yes/no?

and well … just orderd 3 x 2016 for a try to re-visit BDX … lol … and looking into subing 2022

Bel Orme Tronquoy de Lalande Is a completely different wine than Tronquoy de Lalande.

Bel Orme Tronquoy de Lalande is an Haut Medoc not a St. Estephe. Tronquoy shares ownership by the Bouygues brothers that also own Montrose.

Bel Orme Tronquoy de Lalande Is owned by the Quie family that also own Rauzan Gassies in Margaux and Croizet Bages in Pauillac.

FWIW, Rauzan Gassies and Croizet Bages are now making quite nice, reasonably priced wines, this was not until recently the case …

3 Likes

Don’t like it myself.

2 Likes

We discovered the 2019 Dalem while we were in London last September. One of our best QPR’s that we discovered in 2022. I look forward to trying the 2020 Dalem.

Mike, we would highly recommend the Capbern and the Meyney, of those that you have not tried. And the 2016 Lafon Rochet is wonderful, although it is closer to $50 than $40. Barde Haut is nice if you like the style.

1 Like