TN: 2016 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Les Sept Vignes

Someone on WB asked me to post a note of either this or the 2015 Griottes de Brulhié a while back. Most likely it was the other cuvée but as other people’s notes on CT are not very promising that wine remains unopened for now. I really liked this and especially from value perspective it is quite spectacular. I think it sits somewhere in the middle between the true vin de soif stuff and the so called “Burgundian” style.

• 2016 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Les Sept Vignes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (11.5.2018)
    A little bit of funk, otherwise it’s all slick dark cherry, cranberry and stone on the nose. Sweet-fruited on the palate but for some reason I have no problem with the sweetness. Not high in tannins but still I would say that this is quite structured. Super juicy and energetic, the overall sensation is very uplifting. Serious yet very drinkable, really savory on the finish. The bottle was enjoyed over three days and by the third day the wine had lost most of the sweetness but not much else. It had now started to seem more like a Syrah from the Northern Rhône, although with the tangy cranberry fruit the most obvious difference on the palate. I think this could do well in the cellar but there is absolutely nothing wrong with drinking it right now.

Posted from CellarTracker

Excellent note, as always; will look for some

Thanks! This was my first Thivin and the producer certainly has my attention now. Also my first 2016 Beaujolais I think - not as low in alcohol as I would hope (13,5 %) but nothing too worrying really.

Thanks for posting, very nice note and it spurred me to add a couple of my own.
In the last few months i tried the 2016 and had my last 2014 and was meaning to post as I found the comparison really quite interesting and such a clear marker for the vintage variations.

• 2016 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (23/03/2018)
    First look at 2016 from Thivin. Dark purple color. Deep, ripe nose, bouquet of violets and dark cherry, a bit of spicy licorice. Light-Medium bodied with great freshness and quite a long sappy finish. Has a certain Grenache-like quality to it but with more acid. Liking this a lot (90 pts.)

and…

• 2014 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Les Sept Vignes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (13/04/2018)
    Is this the best yet? Super showing, pure raspberry and strawberry fruit and that classic thivin citrus fruit and crushed rock edge to the palate. Fresh, dynamic, so drinkable, I feel this is more complete and harmonious then some of the other cuvées drunk recently. Brilliant, just sad it was my lost bottle! (91 pts.)

I was surprised by the 2016: it had this real combination of ripeness but with freshness, very different to the just plain ripe example of 2015 vintage i have drunk. Still though, the 2014 is my fav, that tangy acidity and mineral spine gets me every time! Also, the Sept Vignes had a better sense of completeness and harmony than the 2014 Godefroy and La Chapelle cuvees drank some time before.

Nice! Do you happen to know what was the ABV on the Sept Vignes? You are not mentioning anything about the sweetness of the fruit - did you find it to be more on the savory side?

I don’t have the bottle in front of me, but i’ld Guess 12.5-13% max.
In terms of sweetness, I think the 14 is more towards savoury: the fruit is tangy and tart more than overtly sweet I guess…
BTW, the 16 was also ´Les Sept Vignes’, just CT didn’t have all the detail in the name…

Great producer. I get lovely red and purple dried flowers and good acidity. Very consistent wines, but the range is so confusingly large. Cuvee this and cuvee that. Could anyone explain the different wines Thivin make, please? Thanks!