TN: 2016 Chateau Thivin CdB - Is there a more consistent QPR?

Robert, these wines sucked in 1990, they still suck now! :wink:

Vissoux is my go to

I have not had the 2017 Thivin yet, but tasted a couple of 2017s at other top estates while I was in the region at the start of April. They were really a bit too young to get a handle on, though each 2017 showed very good depth of fruit and seemed promising- just awfully early on in their evolutions and still quite primary for taking precise notes. For the record, several growers are very positive on the 2017s, calling them a nice cross of 2015 and 2016 in style, which sounds like they will prove to be a very good and popular vintage. I am looking forward to tasting them in the near future. Happily, during my visit to Chateau Thivin, we focused on the 2016s and several older vintages, as these are amongst the most ageworthy wines in all of Beaujolais and the Geoffray family has a long tradition of cellaring their own wines and sharing them when they are mature with interested visitors. Loved the 1988 here a couple of years back when it was served with lunch. On this particular visit, we finished up with the 2005, 2000 and 1999. Fully agree with eveyrone who has expressed fondness for the Thivin wines- Richard Olney’s greatest gift to the US market? Thivin is a great, great visit if you find yourself in Odenas and it is a must stop during any tour of Beaujolais.

Just picked up a 6 pack of the 17s. I maybe crack one tonight to check in.

Different but better. The Rosso is fresh and juicy and drinks well very early. The Nebbiolo, at least in better vintages, seems more like a baby Barolo. I put the Vajra Nebbiolo at a similar level to the Produttori Nebbiolo Langhe.

Decanted 3 hrs. The increased delineation in the fruit profile vs my last go with this last April was striking; clear cut blackish strawberry fruit carries an ever so slight pulpy quality but its backed up with more than ample structure. I love the minty-ness, some cracked pepper, sweet violets, good acidity, all the boxes are checked here. Terrific. 93ish

If you bought when it was cheap, (like 2010 H-N Village Vosne) you easily can say “better” in the context of QPR. But who was so focused on Boredow?
neener

Loved the 2017 but the 2018 was muted.

Not tried the 2018, but I agree the 2017 is indeed super.

Haha, guilty as sin!

PS. The 2017 Zaccharie is superb!

Anyone tried the 2019 Zaccharie?

I’ve never tried the Rosso, but I’m a fan of the Nebbiolo. Last year, they were selling the 18 at that price. It would be nice to get one with a couple of more years on it.

Edit: didn’t notice how old the quotes were… so I removed my post.