TN: 2016 Château Lanessan (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

Only Capbern I’ve had was the 2011 from the most recent Last Bottle marathon – for $21 it was a QPR home run. I was honestly taken aback at how good it was considering the vintage and the price. Would love to try a bottle from a more heralded vintage like the '16. Definitely a value BDX I’ll be keeping an eye out for.

1 Like

So the 2010 did not show for you for a while but did come around eventually?

Was digging through the sale Bordeaux at Binnys and picked up the 2016 Lanessan for $18, and 2015 Chapelle de Potensac for $13.

The Lanessan was serviceable but a bit generic and blocky for me. Obviously it’s young so may show more at some point. I wasn’t excited, or that impressed, and not sure I’ll commit cellar space to a $18 flyer.

The Chapelle de Potensac is a wonderful revelation. Transparent, beautifully balanced, mostly red with some black fruits, and plenty of character. A humble wine (if scoring it would be high 80s), but I can’t imagine wanting anything more in a $13 bottle of Bordeaux (or Bordeaux blend from anywhere). No idea how it will age, but for a fresh, young, cheap Bordeaux this is a winner.

3 Likes

Clayton, I skipped the 2016 Lanessan (something really weird happened in the cellar—dont know what). Luckily, I recently opened a 2019 and was thoroughly impressed (albeit young). Don’t give up on this value estate!

That’s funny, I initially passed on buying more after I tried one on release. It did not float my boat, the wine was off, I assumed because Bouard was in control. Then, after a lot of very recent, positive comments about it here, I just ordered and received a six pack last week, lol.

2 Likes

It’s been decades since I’ve had a Lanessan that young. I’ve got a 1975 lined up for an OL next Thursday. Based on my last bottle, it should be at full maturity but in no danger of going over the hill.

I’ve had Lanessan in at least 20 vintages, probably closer to 30 and it’s a touchstone for me. I guess I’m going to break down and try a ‘modern’ one soon. Hopefully the bathwater is gone and the baby is still there, theirs is a statement terroir.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

Now that I think about it, I like the idea of tasting 1975 and 2015 side by side. Maybe an OL in MA?

Dan Kravitz

I will be interested in your thoughts!

Did J.C. Jackson steal some Lanessan? Did the Broncos drink too much Lanessan?

I think Bouard was playing QB for the Broncos, hence the suck factor!

I am so confused.!

To me Bordeaux is interesting with at least 10 or better 15 years of bottle age. At least Cabernet based wines.