TN: 2016 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

my 2012 40th anniversary I picked up from Trader Joe’s I picked up for $55 is auctioning around $150 or so. So when 2022 vintage hits it should be pretty easy to flip the Special Anniversary bottles again :slight_smile:

John, in the future, when it comes to posting a tasting note that includes Caymus (unless it agrees with 99.9% of wine consumers,) you should shut your mouth like you are LeBron James being asked about China.

[cheers.gif]

flirtysmile

Seems like a tasting note for a Klondike Bar. Anton is correct.

There is very little worse than getting wine as a gift from a non-wine geek, esp. one who likes wine.

The generous thought behind the wine may endure longer than its points or tasting notes. I personally do not recall ever regretting a wine gift…even a 1959 La Mission Haut Brion.

John J wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:57 pm
I literally have a over a case of Caymus in my bedroom closet. When people hear I enjoy wine, this is the bottle I am usually gifted.
Us too…we have an almost complete vertical going back to 2011.
There is very little worse than getting wine as a gift from a non-wine geek, esp. one who likes wine.

You would be a Rockstar at a white elephant gift party!!! champagne.gif

When I walk into Costco and see those 8 dollar 4 packs of Bordeaux, I get a little shiver knowing that they will somehow track me down after making eye contact in the store.

Thanks for the tip Joe. Can’t wait. Wow, and I was happy for $189 on my cellared SS.

That’s a great idea . Should have saved mine instead of half-drinking them. I’m surprised by the prices at resale given the large number of bottles released .

Such a shame…great wines back in the 80’s-90’s.

Anyone want to sell me their unwanted Caymus at well-below release price?

Nah, we like you too much to do such a terrible thing.

So true, 70s through very early 90s, for me! [cheers.gif]

1988 Caymus Napa and 1991 Caymus Special Selection were epiphany wines for me when I started this journey. Stopped buying with the 1997 as the style changed.

Another recent similar CellarTracker take. It was followed two days later by a taster who simply said, “Wow. Amazing…” and scored it a 94. This wine may have the single greatest standard deviation in the history of CellarTracker.

• 2016 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/18/2019)
    OMFG - I waited eight years to taste this wine, and I’m very surprised by the reality vs the reviews …

Why did I have high expectations? We all have preferred styles. Me, I like bright, clean whites, and big, fruit forward, highly alcoholic red wines. The reds that I love get criticized by some people who use similar terminology to those who diss Caymus, so I guessed that Caymus might share some characteristics of the wines that I love - wines like Clio, like Mollydooker’s Blue Eyed By, like Penfolds Bin 389, Turley Zinfandels, even Martinelli Zinfandels with 17% alcohol.

So I’m browsing through an unfamiliar wine store in an unfamiliar town and, for the first time, saw half-bottles of Caymus 2016 for $49. I had intended to try this wine for eight or ten years, but never got around to spending $90 on a gamble. I bought the half-bottle, and a few other familiar reds at the same time. Just got to my hotel room in time to watch UFC and open the Caymus …

The wine is very dark purple, 14.7% alcohol, medium viscosity, with aromas of red fruit, vanilla, cough syrup. As soon as it touched my tongue I tasted sugar - not red fruit, just plain sucrose. I had an instantaneous emotional reaction - fear. I didn’t want to let this wine go anywhere near the back of my mouth. It reminded me of my reaction when I tried Durian fruit ice-cream. I was afraid that I would gag as it went down. I swallowed it, and went “blech”. I want to understand this wine, so I took another sip and forced myself to swish it around my mouth. It seems nasty.

I have to say that I am baffled - sure there are plenty of critics of Caymus - but there are plenty of people who love it, and many positive reviews. So, if this is a great wine, why can’t I taste it? It seems artificial, like candy, reminds me of Layer Cake Shiraz reds, of Meoimi Pinot Noir, and Chronic Cellars Purple Paradise. It can’t be as simple as “its a faecal wine.”

I’m still in the hotel room, now with a 2015 Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy, which at 17% alcohol tastes more balanced, natural, and whilst very much a fruit bomb, doesn’t taste confected or unnatural. My glass of Caymus sits unfinished and I think ill give the remainder of the bottle to someone else to finish. Bottom line - whilst I cant drink Caymus, I wonder if its actually an amazing wine that just isn’t compatible with my palate. I would sooner drink an $8 bottle of Honoro Vera Monastrell than another $80 Caymus. (84 pts.)

Perhaps funnier, he finds the wine undrinkable and yet still manages to score it an 84.

From most CT scores, I’d estimate 89-90 points is typically given to one’s C+ to B- wines. Weird, but giving 84 after all that is definitely pretty funny.

1 Like

Me too! In actual brown sugar and Port wine. I am amenable to accepting brown sugar flavors in my aged rum, though.

Needs more time…

How long do you have? neener