TN: 2015 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco)

Different strokes. I preferred the Produttori by a wide margin over the Vajra.

Yup and I have found this to be the case with most of the 16 Nebs that I have tried.

Tried the 2016 Langhe last night. Didn’t cause me to go out and buy a case (but I don’t need everyday drinkers)… but has me kind of super pumped up for the 2016 vintage generally. I picked up a couple of the 2015 Barbaresco as well, and tried to be restrained… must.stay.focused.on.2016.

The normales are for still around here for the following prices (all-in):

2013 Barbaresco: 27.45
2014 Barbaresco: 29.40
2015 Barbaresco : 31.35

Which one would you recommend for the medium term?

I agree if your talking about the Vajra Rosso, but I think the '16 Vajra Langhe Nebbiolo is in the same league as Produttori’s.

I found the produttori to have a little more structure and by me, it’s a few dollars cheaper.

OK, I will put my head in the lion’s mouth and say I don’t particularly care for anything that Vajra makes.

David, any reason in particular or is there just no magic there? You seem to have a pretty broad palate in terms of the wine you like.

Thanks for the note, really love the '14.

I’ve tried several bottles of various wines, and while they are solid, they generally do not speak to me.

(now ensuring that for the next two years I will be randomly blinded on Vajra wines at every opportunity)

The Vajra 2008 Barbera from the Brico vineyard is drinking very well at the moment

All three of those are very well priced. I would recommend 15 or 14. it’s been over a year since I had the 13 and it was starting to shut down then so I won’t touch it for another two years. The 15 is incredibly charming right now. The 14 I had 11/17 was exceptional but it could potentially be heading for shutdown territory in the next year, I’m not sure. I’m afraid to check in with it as I only bought a gazillion or so…

The '14 I had in February 2018 was very tight and almost impenetrable, which made me think it needed several years at least. Wish I knew how long that bottle had been open. However, recent CT notes from the last 3-4 months say the '14 is showing well.

What is generally the drinking window on the normale?

I am confused by those popping & pouring recent vintages. We drank the 11 recently and I thought it could use time

I am just checking it to assess potential.

Not to mention, some of mine were bottles at restaurants.

Great prices. I was happy to find the '15 for $35 today at PJ’s here in NYC. Most places around here seem to be charging $40 and up.

I find most of the Barberescos do well with a decant in the first 2 or 3 years after release, and then after that they definitely need time, 8+ years at least.

The 2016 Langhe was better for me today after leaving a half bottle corked in the fridge overnight. Wine become more clarified and balanced, I could see structure better and how it could unfold…and I enjoyed the wine a lot more.

To be honest, in most vintages I find the PdB Langhe to be enjoyable young. Yes, it’s somewhat structured but is has gorgeous, pure Nebbiolo aromatics, and it’s made with the expectation that it’s enjoyable young. The Produttori wines I intend to age for extended periods are the Torre or cru wines. They are more expensive (yet still bargains), but they generally reach higher peaks (and there is a cost to store wines for aging, so purchase price is only part of the picture).

-Al