TN: 2015 Marcel Juge Cornas (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas)

The start of the damn hype machine:

Newman!!! Or is it, Fu-man!?

:wink:

Um… yeah. I refer you to post #5 in that thread.

Post 2 better: anti-hype!

:wink:

I agree with you 100%.

My only point is that posters who have a history of seeking to provoke and self-aggrandize by posting inflammatory comments are only encouraged by outraged responses that let them know they have got under people”s skins.

Charlie has been to this dance before with the responder, as I’ve discussed with him.

Just my two cents … sometimes it’s best to let stuff go if it is part of a pattern of behavior, however annoying. Don’t give them further oxygen by engaging. :slight_smile:

newhere

Nah. That’s not it. I always had a problem biting my tongue outside of marriage (learned the hard way) and work. You are right of course.

I’ve had Juge and thought it was very good. Not Allemand to me. Still I understand that different people react to different wines individually. what’s the problem with that ? I celebrate Charlie and Tylers Jugelove.

+1 on all these points. BTW at least last year the trick to drinking Juge for me was to frequent the hipster somm restaurants in NYC. Not sure if that trick will work again this year but who knows. Amusingly I tried a couple of well regarded wine shops when I was in Paris and no one had even heard of Juge.

I think both Tyler and I like Allemand Reynard more but it costs 3-4x the price of Juge on release.

The Managing Director and I decided to shake off a hangover by going to Gramercy Tavern for lunch on Sunday and were perked up considerably by the sight of 2015 Juge on the list. It’s hard to say what constitutes a “fair” price for something hyped to the nines by the west coast collective [snort.gif] but at significantly below retail it seemed worth a roll.

Charlie’s note above is dead on. This is entirely more reticent than the 2014, which I drank about nine months ago and which was almost flashy in comparison. The '15 is much stricter. There are notes of violets and blue and black fruits on the nose, but they need a bit of coaxing and the palate is a wall of structure and tannin, acidity and granite. Brilliantly made of course, but more impressive than pleasurable right now (no surprise there).

The somm told me that they were allocated a case and she thought they had about nine bottles left so if you’re in NY and this is your thing, you know where to go. I’m very happy to have tried it but I don’t see this as worth the “last vintage” premium that it currently commands in the retail market (the price at the restaurant was at least 30% lower than retail per wine searcher, which tells its own story I suspect).

What you are talking about is not what I would call the “retail” price. The fair retail price range I saw was $68.99-$99.99, with the top end starting to get into a premium margin. The price you will find on WS now is gouging in my book, plain and simple.

It isn’t a price the market will bear. It’s a price that guarantees only a price-insensitive person will pay.

When I first purchased Juge I was able to get a case + 1 mag. @$44…Last year was 6 bottles @$59 and now this year, my allocation is 2 bottles @$129.

I get it, Juge is now rare and seemingly if rumors are true this is the last vintage so double whammy. Oh well, I’ll never have to pay these prices again.

I feel the same way about Clape…

…and Robert Michel, where is the Robert Michel hype? Lovely wines…

Is this a good price? [wink.gif]

… or for $150 for a bottle you can slum it up at unheralded Eleven Madison Park, dine at the bar, while enduring their restaurant dishes.

I’d be tempted to sell my maggies at that price, but then again, I’d just dump it back into wine.

Stoopid pricing, really stoopid. Already at Verset pricing, but for new releases!

Appreciate the level perspective on the wine. I was beginning to think it was a thousand dollar wine.

185 now

Unless you’re Mark Cuban buying Juge on winebid last week!

surprised the 14 is going for such a premium. it was on the shelf at astor for about $60. they seemed to have quite a few before i told to a friend to buy them out

Garnet wines in NYC sold out of the 2015 for $559