TN: 2015 K Vintners Syrah The Beautiful

Charles and Brennon Leighton make a great team. Brennon made some great wines at Efeste prior.

I bought an array of '07’s a number of years ago. Each one was a volatile oaky mess and just reminded me of the worst of Aussie shiraz. Never got around to the Wailuke Slope and don’t think I ever will. Interesting that they’ve changed direction but there is so much great N.Rhone that I think I’ll just stick to that. Yes, call me an elitist snob but once bitten, twice shy.

One vintage and you are done. Keep trying. Not all Washington Wines are alike and the 15 K is the real deal!

Good to hear. I attended a wine dinner in 2015 the featured Charles’ wines, including K Vintners.

I remember all but maybe one being dialed up in ripeness and use of oak. Sounds like at least for the K label I can revisit. Does anyone know if this change has filtered through to any of his other labels?

And a quick google shows that K and some of his other more serious wines are part the “Wines of Substance” group, whereas the plonk (Kung Fu Girl Reisling) is with “Charles Smith Wines”. Has that always been the case?

And a quick google shows that K and some of his other more serious wines are part the “Wines of Substance” group, whereas the plonk (Kung Fu Girl Reisling) is with “Charles Smith Wines”. Has that always been the case?

He sold the less than desirable brands for a lot of money. He kept his best under $20 wine the Substance Cabernet which is one of my favorite wines for the price point.

What ever happened to the Royal City cuvee? The 2006 was the only wine I ever had that was too intense for me, but after a decade in the cellar, it really came around.

[quoteWhat ever happened to the Royal City cuvee? The 2006 was the only wine I ever had that was too intense for me, but after a decade in the cellar, it really came around.][/quote]
Charles still makes it. Average price around $100

https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/list.asp?fInStock=0&Table=List&iUserOverride=0&szSearch=royal+city+syrah

I was at Jet City last week and they were pouring the Royal City Syrah. All of his wines are huge. They are a bit over the top just like Charles. I still love them though. I usually drink Pinot Noir but it is a good contrast to have some of Charles’ Syrahs every now and then.

Charles’ syrahs (K vintners labels) are getting better and better over time. Definitely moving in a more savory/aromatic direction from 2012 on. The Royal City is the best of the bunch, and most expensive, and I think needs 7-8 to show its stuff. There are a bunch of Syrahs from various vineyards all worth trying, depending on price point. Recs: The Hidden, Klein, Powerline, Cattle King, River Rock, Beautiful. The Motor City Kity and the Deal are very good QPR. Had a 2013 MCK recently and it had developed really nicely since last tried (4- pts out of 5).