TN: 2015 Julian Haart - (Piersporter) Schubertslay Kabinett

Aargh!

Did you know these bottles are taller than standard Riesling bottles? I couldn’t find a case they would fit in. I guess I’ll be aging them at home for the next decade, or I’ll drink them too young. Why do people do this?

I’d be more sympathetic if you (a) hadn’t offered me a taste and then (b) told me how impossibly hard they were to obtain. [wink.gif]

I much prefer the regular bottles, like those used by Egon Müller. But some producers choose to have the extra-tall bottles, especially for the top dry wines.

Well, Haart is off my list of wines to purchase. I loved these but I can’t deal with the bottle size. I guess I’ll have to keep slumming with those lesser producers who use standard bottles - like Muller, Prum, Schaefer, von Schubert …

Julian Haart has the standard 330-mm bottle for his entry-level wines. I thought he did the same for his Kabinetts. Maximin Grünhaus does use the taller 350-mm bottle for its GG and Superior wines.

As a follow-up to my previous post, Maximin Grünhaus has only the extra-tall bottle for all its 2016 Rieslings, to go along with a more legible Jugendstil label. For those of you who are curious, I wrote more about this in a recent article titled “Flutes and Labels.”

Why? Why, why, why?

If you want wines from the Saar or Ruwer try Zilliken or von Schubert.

Another alternative for wines from Piesporter is Theo Haart at Reinhold Haart.

Although Theo is still actively working at the estate, his eldest son, Johannes, took charge of the winemaking duties at Haart several years ago. I was there to taste the 2016s last week.

…and?

Charlie, I hope to give you and others an update soon.

I know, I love your website. I always look forward to the latest Riesling info.

Charlie, get me some of this Shi’ite! You gotta me hooked! You got pull, I’m just country poke.

This was easily the hardest bottle to source for me this season. I had to beg, borrow, and steal, from multiple sources to get a full case. But bottles I have, and I share I will. And, no, I am not trying to sound like Yoda there.

Cool. I got the Vatan for us. :wink:

Im in, soon!