TN: 2015 Georg Breuer „Rüdesheimer Berg Schloßberg“

2015 Georg Breuer „Rüdesheimer Berg Schloßberg“

„The “Berg Schlossberg” is located in the bend of the Rhine, where the river has dug its way north again. The steepest vineyards in the Rheingau, with an incline of up to 65%, are held here in part by high vineyard walls. The soil here consists of barren Rhine slate and Taunus quartzite and also serves as a heat store. The name comes from the Ehrenfels Castle, which can still be seen from afar as a ruin today.“

Classic SCHLOSSBERG minerality meets warm yellow stone fruit. And with power, finesse and elegance.

At the beginning the wine was dominated by the warm fruit, no surprise as we are talking about 2015. But with more air the big&deep minerality has the upper hand and dominates the Riesling.

I am quite surprised that all the critics and even the estate suggest to drink this Schlossberg rather sooner than later (2025). Until 2030 is no problem in my view. Label by Mikhail Smirnov from St. Petersburg.

Alcohol 11,5 % · Residual sugar 6,5g/l · Total acidity 9,3 g/l

94/100

7 Likes

One of my favorite travel memories is taking the chairlift up from Assmannshausen then the gondola down from the Niederwalddenkmal through the vineyard to Rudesheim, where we spent a cool October afternoon eating smoked trout and drinking Georg Breuer Rüdesheimer Berg Schloßberg Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel in the Schloss courtyard, listening to the oompah band. Thanks for the memory!

1 Like

I’ve never had this wine. I’d like to try it but it’s very expensive. Is it worth double most other top GGs?

1 Like

Good question, the price is indeed very high, also in Germany. On the other this dry Riesling is part of the Holy Grail of Riesling with outstanding aging potential.

The estate Corvers-Kauter makes also a very good SCHLOSSBERG and 1/3 of the Breuer price (40€)

I think this wine is a great example of the type of wine where it takes many years for its greatness to show. I doubt very much you would like this enough young to feel the premium is worth it.

3 Likes

Kessler also makes a very good and (in my opinion) underrated Schlossberg GG which is about 30 EUR in Germany. Nevertheless, Breuer‘s Schlossberg is a really unique expression, the combination of enormous complexity and low alcohol makes it singular.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s a complete waste to drink this young. Depending on the vintage, I would say that they need at least 7-12 years to show their stuff. Recently, the 2021 was like drinking a closed book in a vice. 2004 (albeit from mag) was lovely and rich, but still in the process of opening up fully(!)

3 Likes