TN: 2015 Château de Saint-Cosme Gigondas (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas)

• 2015 Château de Saint-Cosme Gigondas - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas (10/14/2017)
    This is ready to drink now without decant - zero. Nice touch of sweetness just about balanced with acid bite. Not jammy, not fruit forward but a good shot of blackberry and lots of tingle firing off. Almost zinfandel like in character but lighter and still coats. Good spice, pepper and pucker. Short finish. Crowd pleaser. I think it will add some dimension on aging but I don’t get longevity out of this. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Recommended as long as you like a touch of sweet fruit. K&L at $30 per (but didn’t show on Wine Searcher).

Thanks for the tasting note, Steve!

I have not had a St Cosme Gigondas in over a decade, but I enjoyed them young as well.

St. Cosme used to be such a staple of my regular consumption, the Cotes du Rhone and Gigondas still remain reasonable in price. I stopped buying them after the 07 and 09 vintages where the trending seemed to be to develop a sweeter, more forward wine. I popped a 2014 Les Deux Albion last week out of curiosity, and was pleasantly surprised. A very good $20 bottle. Crisp bright fruits with added depth from the Syrah. Alcohol was in check, no over use of oak as on some of the luxury curves he makes. I would buy more.

I agree Robert. The 05 was the last vintage I was thrilled with. I did buy the 08 Cote Rotie, 1 bottle when we visited the winery.