TN: 2014 Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Les Chaignots

They’re made in pretty different styles. I think Chevillon is more classically Nuits with a bit more rusticity imo.

Just pulled a 2007 from off site cellar to check on in coming weeks, and invoice says cost was $59.99/btl.

Yup. I searched my email and found I paid $55 (and ‘07 was the last vintage I bought).

My most recent vintage is 98. I sadly drank the younger ones.

The sisters have been on a tear, and are legitimately seen as a top-tier producer.

I was able to justify purchases(long retail relationships with prices less than full retail helped) through ‘14 for BR, V-R, NSG, Chaignots, snd, believe it or not, even C-M Feusselottes. With ‘15 vintage I could not justify any bottling - prices increased 33-50% - and will arguably never be able to buy another vintage on release. Instagram claims another casualty.

Same here. Had a decent allocation for quite a long time but couldn’t stomach the price rises in 15. Was true for all my allocations except for pycm.

Thanks, it seems like this is the consensus view. Will keep that in mind [cheers.gif]

Thanks a very useful note as I picked up a range of M-G '14s. And yes I do find Chevillon’s wines to be less focussed, although still rather tasty.

I’ve never been a huge fan of Chevillon Chaignot, but as much as I love M-G Chaignot, I’d pick Chevillon LSG, Cailles, and Vaucrain over it almost every time. They play more at the M-G Feusselottes level.

Stupid labels are too photogenic!

Yes, 2014 vintage preceding 2015 & 2016, like 2008 preceding 2009 & 2010, which has been discussed in another thread, was somewhat overlooked, in general, in the market. Amazingly, some pricing for M-G from different sources around the USA was still reasonable. Yes, quantities available were less, but the pricing was not prohibitive. 2015 was the beginning of the end for so many long time Consumers.

I sucked it up for 2018 (no vacation this year, so extra funds available), but if the curve keeps going up I am done.

I opened an ‘07 just 3 months ago, it was drinking so well, probably at peak.

Thank you!

It is not that amazing that prices from some sources around the US are still reasonable. As I understand it, prices at the winery are pretty reasonable. It is middlemen and retailers gouging customers in the US. I know that is true even for 2015s. They were reasonably priced even at retail stores in Beaune, if you could find the wines (and the stores where I saw them put limits on how much people could buy). But, the prices charged by retail stores were reasonable. And, still much higher than what the wines cost at the winery.

Tariffs have hurt as well. 25% price jump is a big freaking deal.

But it’s 25% at the import level. Not at the retail.

A 25% increase at the import level usually results in a 25% increase at retail, but that should not be true when wines are being sold for 3-5 times the price at the winery.

What Howard said. If markups at all levels remain constant it’s still 25%. I have provided 20 or 30 examples of how it works in the tariff threads.

It is amazing the demand for 2014 vintage, in general, even for an en vogue Producer like M-G, was not higher. Pricing would have been commensurate with higher demand. Ex-Cellar prices were generally higher for 2015 than 2014, especially for 1er Cru & Grand Cru, given that 2015 volumes were not very high. The price the Beaune retailer receives is not necessarily the price offered to all other markets.