TN: 2014 Hartford Old Vine Zinfandel

I was about to seek a bottle until I saw the ABV…

Yep, I totally get it…but honestly, I never in a million years would have guessed it was that high when drinking it. Well balanced and not hot in the slightest.

Whatever that’s worth…just figured I’d mention it.

I had this the other day; you don’t really notice the ABV; I wouldn’t have suspected it if it hadn’t been posted.

I agree with previous comments on the indiscernible alcohol level on the palate.

These wines are excellent examples of RRV Zin.

I think this was WS wine of the year #10.

So I popped a 2016 Hartford Old Vine last night and it was every bit as good, if not better, than the 2014. Beautifully perfumed nose of violets/florals and blueberries on the nose, and an incredible mix of blue fruits, raspberries, and baking spice on the palate. What’s most impressive about the wine is how it walks a perfect line between fruit and structure, creating an airy but defined mouthfeel that is just pure pleasure to drink. I honestly think that Hartford has quietly crept into the top 3 or 4 of my favorite zin producers. A winery to seriously seek out for any zin-fan, or wine-lover in general.
20180529_173817.jpg

I’m in their zin club, their Fanucchi Wood and Highwire Vineyard zins are stellar.

I’ll have to go find some of the 15 and 16 based on that review. The CT scores look good as well.

I’ve enjoyed the “old vine” more than the “highwire”…very nice Zin !

Very nice walk-in tasting room to visit if you’re in the area.

Their zins, chardonnays and pinots are consistently good. I’d say they are on the riper side but with moderate oak, so they emphasize joyous pure fruit but don’t tend to get heavy or artificial tasting.

A young woman from the family was there to talk to us last year (maiden name Hartford but recently married) and she was just so lovely, sweet and friendly. I guess wine imitates family in that case.

Here is a photo of me and my late beloved dog at Hartford.
393619E6-92C8-4957-A11A-751E429CA871.jpeg

So sorry to hear about your dog Chris but that is a great pic, and the Hartford property looks incredible. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the note Rich! I’ve purchased several bottles but have not opened one yet.

Tom

You’ll dig em buddy. Fantastic zinfandel!

I have the ‘13, ‘14, and ‘15 in the cellar. Opened a ‘13 last spring and thought the alcohol and acidity both stuck out too much. It’s probably time to revisit and see if they’re better integrated now.

After that, I’ll check in on the ‘14. Hope to be as impressed as you were, Rich.

Chris,

One of my favorite tastings from my trip to Sonoma in February was at Hartford. Lots of great wine and the feeling of being in that valley by yourself was a lovely experience. I really liked the Highwire zin and wish I had bought more. I also have some pinot from the Seascape vineyard I had planned on opening at our next tasting.

I read that the Hartfords bought that house just as a place to live originally, then sort of discovered the quality of the old vineyard on the site, and got into the wine business.

I’ve just recently found I really appreciate Joseph Swan Zins…a totally different Zin experience I’ve loved sharing with other wine lovers.