TN: 2014 Domaine Michel Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chaumées Clos de la Truffière

I would have no idea of the exact location. Michel Couteau would be the person to ask Charlie I would think. William Kelley lives in Burgundy much of the time. (Maybe all the time now?) He would be the most knowledgeable person who has participated in this thread for this kind of information. BTW, I love all your maps. They are amazing.

I have an idea but I confess to not being sure, so I just wrote to Michel to ask and will report back.

Well, enablement rides again. I bought some Niellon 2014 Maltroie and 2014 Clos St Jean for $70 per. Couldn’t find any Truffiere nor Vergers for anything close to that price.

A quick reply from Michel, translated:

"The Clos de la Truffière is a lieu-dit within Chaumée. It comprises of two distinct parcels exploited by three proprietors: Vincent & François Jouard, Paul Jouard, and Michel Niellon. On the cadastral map, parcels 108 and 107 correspond to Niellon, 31 and 32 to Paul Jouard, and 27 and 28 for V & F Jouard.

"We took over the parcel in 1996 in a “fermage” agreement and acquired the vines in 2012.

"The soils are mostly light, and not very deep in the upper part, with hard and compact rock that sometimes surfaces.

“We don’t know the exact age of the vines, the original archives having been lost, but the majority of the parcel must have been planted before anyone can remember, just after the First World War in around 1920. The upper part is a little more recent, without doubt planted around 1935!”

You can’t say fairer than that!

Very few places you could get this detailed information. Glad they now own the parcels. Thanks so much William!

That’s some pretty detailed information (understatement)…thanks William!

Yes, thanks, great info; just need to know now where one can find the actual wine :slight_smile:

Thank you!

with streetview you can even see the low wall.

Anyone know how the '16s are? Envoyer just offered them for $70.

Whoa. That’s awesome.

Thank you. There are almost 12000 of them. Enjoy and report errors

Good efforts in what was a very challenging vintage in Chassagne due to brutal frosts across almost all the appellation.

If you want a cracking 2016 white Burgundy look for Marc Colin’s Saint-Aubin En Montceau.

Thx William!

As a post-script to this thread, I opened a bottle of the 2017 Niellon Clos Saint-Jean white yesterday, just out of curiosity, and it showed even better than when I tasted it six months ago - even more tensile and lively. So Niellon 2017s are warmly recommended when they arrive stateside.

Will be visiting the Clos de la Truffière on Monday and will try to take some photo.

William. I really appreciate your input here. I haven’t had a chance to really taste in Burgundy this past year. Thanks. I do love what they are doing at Niellon.

FWIW, had a super, 2002 version of this wine over the weekend…Holding well…a little big, but otherwise a lovely example of a maturing WB devoid of Premox influences. I noted that a couple of earlier bottles were premoxed, and a couple not…

To follow up on this, I finally visited to Clos de la Truffière last Friday with Michel… This is how the vineyard looked. Happily only a handful of buds lost to frost, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Excellent news!

1. And great pics William!

Any evidence of a wall or other enclosure??