TN: 2014 Desire Lines Syrah Experimental Series #1: The Gift (USA, California)

2014 Desire Lines Syrah Experimental Series #1: The Gift - USA, California (9/28/2022)
Solo bottle, so there’s never a “right” time to open. Tonight seemed good enough, especially with the recent Desire Lines release. A short pour right on opening was all dark berries and warm, loamy earth. An hour in the decanter added roasted meat, as well as savory elements of mushroom and soy. Tannins are still submerged beneath the flavor extract. I wish I had a case to watch this evolve, as it bears a striking resemblance to some of the best ESJ Wylie-Fenaughty Syrahs which have aged into beauty.

2 Likes

Funny, I just decanted this for dinner with some lamb burgers tonight. I loved it two years ago, and bought a few for the cellar. We’re in the process of closing on a house, packing to move, and putting the old place up for sale, so I haven’t been posting much, but I’ll try to add a few comments after we have it.

2 Likes

I really liked this again last night, although surprisingly it seemed a little more structured than our last bottle two years ago (TN: High Plains Gifter...), making me think I should wait another 3-5 before popping the next one. The fruit still seemed strong, but was maybe just hiding a bit. It really went well with the lamb burgers, too.

1 Like