TN: 2014 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon (I gave it a shot)

I tried the wine after 1 hr, 1.5 hr,s and 2 hrs of breathing from a 1L bottle.

The bouquet wasn’t as big as I expected it to be is tart cherries, roasted nuts, oak, and tons of vanilla extract. An odd start and the nose was not necessarily impressing me.

Palate:
Definitely a level or two toned down from the last couple vintages but still a little bit much for me. It has decent acidicity on the front attack followed by some sweet dark fruit, oak, and vanilla to finish with out much in terms of tannins giving it a softer rounder texture. The problem was, all that remains on the finish is a slight vanilla extract-like flavor that ca get tiring after more than a glass.

Could improve with age and more integration in the bottle with the surprising level of acidity. I’m glad Caymus is toning down the fructose bombs from the previous couple years but they still have a ways to go, at least for me.

I’m sure there are many who enjoy this type of profile, it’s just not for me yet. Perhaps I will give a Caymus SS a try at some point, but I think Caymus and I will be taking a break from each other for a while.
IMG_20160624_212023276.jpg

Jerome - this is not a direct shot at you, just an observation and question to the regulars here because of your thread.

Everyone knows how Caymus makes their wine, and everyone who doesn’t like this style shouldn’t even bother. It’s Cab for the masses and it obviously sells well. Members here are usually more purist wine geeks and don’t enjoy this kind of profile so why keep trying? Is the repetitive bashing fun or is is masochistic?

This is a serious question.

dennis
i was thinking the same thing
why waste the $?

I totally understand where you are coming from so I shall clarify my reasoning.

I actually had only tasted one caymus before and it was before I had even heard of it or even knew wine.
My palate has evolved greatly since then because I had only really started drinking wine after that point. I wanted to give it a try because I am not overly familiar with California wines and wanted to know how my palate aligns with Caymus knowing what I know now.

It was not some masochistic endeavor to beat a dead horse, I was exploring and discovering what I like and don’t like. And now I know. :slight_smile:

Vanilla-flavored, oak-framed fruit bombs pair well with a well-beaten dead horse, especially if on an expense account.

[rofl.gif]

I think it’s always worthwhile to check on one’s prejudices. Jerome somewhat confirmed his and posted even-tempered comments rather than a tirade. What’s the objection?

I’m always interested to taste well-known wines I expect to hate (preferably when someone else is paying). Most often, I do, but there are lots of surprises, too.

i get it john, but op says toned down from last couple of vintages, by which i’m assuming he meant they really displeased him.
and fwiw op then goes on to say had only tasted one caymus before.

guess i’m just cranky today [cheers.gif]

I have no objection specifically to Jerome’s comments or this thread, and I said at the very beginning of my post that this was not aimed at him… but I knew somebody would willfully ignore that portion of my post. rolleyes Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Dennis, if you don’t want your post interpreted as a reply, try making a new post instead of replying.

Michael

+1
I thought it was nice, fair-minded tasting note.

Ah my favorite kind of WB thread:

Someone objecting to another’s objection to someone else’s objection! :slight_smile:

I had the 2012 first, and I was told by everyone else I knew that the 13 was more of the same. I also heard that in the past Caymus was not like that. That’s basically why I was going to see what was going on. Hope that makes more sense [oops.gif] Was not trying to mislead anyone.

Ditto. I found the note useful because outside of my wine buddies, this is one of the wines people ask me about. I start with a rant about how the vineyard sources are drastically different than in the 1980s and how the production count might be understated because some is shipped directly to Asia and how the winery seems to be raking in huge money with cynical winemaking and blah blah but I’m not going to actually taste a Caymus any time soon so this note is helpful. And measured and credible. I detected zero bashing in the OP.

Meanwhile the 1976 and 1978 regular Caymuses are truly outstanding wines, as are the very low production 1978,1985 and 1987 and to a lesser extent 1991 Special Selections.

I object to your objection to Matthew’s objecting to my objection to Jerome’s objection to 2014 Caymus. neener

No worries Jerome. If you’ve seen some of the other threads on Caymus here, particularly the 2012 40th Anniversary Cab, you’d know this it tame in comparison.

Agree 100%. So many folks become close-minded about certain wines because they tried a few and didn’t like them.

Perhaps they were all slightly corked?!? :wink:

Seriously, open your mind to the possibilities . . .

Cheers.

Or cooked - as in jammy / stewy on purpose. [snort.gif] Caymus Cabernet Syrup - coming soon to an IHOP near you!

Some icecream with a Caymus reduction actually may not be THAT bad… though it would be ridiculously expensive. [highfive.gif]

Jerome, I don’t understand how You can open an expensive 2014 cabernet, and expect a treat.
I don’t know this specific wine, but I assume it needs cellaring, maybe even for a long time, to just start showing positive signs.
Do Caymus recommend consuming this, on “release” ?
For Me, it’s like eating a stone hard Brie cheese, or a pear that is not ripe, and so on.

If You drink ultra young wines, to get the experiences regarding how they will evolve, then I understand the baby-killing.

Best regards, Soren

Soren - This is typically a big, very ripe California cabernet. Many of such wines are made fruity so they can be drunk young. And probably most buyers do drink them young.