TN: 2013 Ridge Torre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

Honestly Neal, give it three more years or so. No fear of the fruit drying out this early. The fruit is deep.

I used to be a big Ridge fan with the late-'80s and early-'90s wines, was in ATP, etc. It seems the new oak usage increased around 1995 and it just became too much. I’m sure I’d appreciate an aged Monte Bello from that time if someone opened one, but I just don’t like American oak, especially a high percentage of it. If I want whiskey I’ll buy that…it’s a lot cheaper!

You and I know a few things about Ridge Cabernets, esp. the higher end ones. (1) They have beautiful fruit. (2) They age effortlessly forever. (3) They have new American oak that is offputting for a number of years but eventually integrates into the wine. So, when you open them at seven years old (is it now two bottles or three, I have lost count), the oak is really on you and not on the wine. Would you start drinking Latour at seven years old and then blame the wine when it is not ready?

I agree about the oak being prevalent and that these wines need a lot of time. FWIW, I have had the 2013 and 2014 Torre’s side-by-side a few times and I prefer the 2014. To me there is much more fruit and balance in the 2014.

Ed