TN: 2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Hillside

• 2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Hillside - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/8/2021)
    12.8% abv. Bright burgundy red, seductive aromatics. Raspberry, red cherry, pomegranate, baking spice and mint highlight a well integrated, focused and intense palate impression. Deep, long, grippy and lovely. As good as it is now, it will continue to improve for years. One of the best Pinots I’ve had in a long time. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds lovely and good timing, the 2018 release will be offered this week. I’ve never opened one, been buying them since the 2013 release.

Did you get any stem notes? My recollection is that the 2013 was fermented with a high percentage of whole clusters.

Thanks for the note, sounds fantastic. Also love that the ABV leans towards the lower end of the spectrum.

In my thread on the regular 2013 Horseshoe, Jeff Brinkman said that wine was only 20% whole cluster. I don’t know if that held true for Hillside, but it’s a data point.

I picked up some “stem spice,” but it was very well integrated. Really a sensational wine - grippy, layered & savory combined with bright fruit highlights.

Good to know, I love that stem spice when it’s dialed in and not overtly green/herbaceous. I need to try a few of the Hillsides, in looking at the Rhys website they list the 13 as D/H (drink/hold), all the later vintages are solidly H.

Opened the 2013 Alpine Hillside an hour ago.

It’s good. Really good.

Opened 1 , a year ago and was much more approachable than I expected. Wonderful aromas of black raspberries, currants, spice, floral, earth. Layers of flavor showing raspberry, currant, earth, spice. Medium bodied with great balance and acidity. Smooth tannins show up in the long finish. Just starting to hit its stride. Long life ahead of it.

Also

2013 Alpine Hillside - Decanted 1 hour. Bright red fruits start, followed by cherry, blackberry, spice, and floral notes. Layers of flavor. More black fruit with some cherry, earthy, floral, spice, minerals. Medium bodied. Long smooth finish. Really good now, but no hurry to open.